Am I Having Compatabliity Issues; Or.............................

mark electro

When I run my turntables, cassette deck, and my FM receiver through my pre-amp the music sounds very detailed and engaging. Normaly I run my cd players on a passive switch bypassing the Pre-amp and direct to the amp.

The other day I decided to run my cd player through the pre-amp to the amp. The sound was very peaky. In other words the difference between the high volume passages and low volume passages became very drastic and exagerated when listening to a very dynamic passage.

Is it possable that my cd player and my pre-amp are not matching properly?

Or would it be more likely that to cd player is showing up a problem with the Pre- that the turntables,decks, and receiver are not able to show?

Or...................?

O.K. let me try to explain my situation a little better.

When my CD player is hooked to the pre-amp then from pre-amp to amp:

I play an acustic gutar passage that starts very softly then builds up slowly to a very explosive end.

Listening toward the end the music the sound seems to get distorted even if I turn the output of the CD player to its neer minimum output.

According to the specs sheet on the pre- amp; it can handle up to 10 volts input.

According to the CD player specs; it can put out 2 volts.

Why would the louder musical passages seem distorted? Could this be a problem with the Pre-amp or just a mismatch of components?

When I run the CD player straight to the amp every thing sounds excelent.

When I run a turntable or other analog source through the pre-amp then to the amp every thing sounds excellent.

This condition only occures when I run the CD player through the pre-amp then to the amp.

So my question is WHY?

If anyone could be of any help; I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Mark

Your added info seems to make the situation clear, but I can't understand why it would do that if you turn your CD player way down. Apparently you're sure it's not in the recording itself.

Since your CD player has a standard "line" output, maybe shift it to another line input, such as tuner or tape monitor (anything but phono), to see whether there is something wrong with that one input circuit, and let us know.

Hi Larry.

Yea; somtimes I have clairity issues with my descriptions (lol).

The inputs for tuner tape and aux all are reacting the same. I did not use the phono input.

The funny thing about it is my anelog sources sound very, very good. And my CD players sound great direct to the amps.

Only when I hook the CD players up through the pre- amp does it do this. It seems like the pre-amp is trying to drasticly boost the loud passages; like the volume goes way up.

By the way the pre- amp is a NAD 1020. Is it possable it is too old to handle a CD player?

I'm baffeled by this occurence.