mcintosh c33 vs mcintosh c20

klipschnutsky

My first "serious" preamp was a C-20. I took it a Mac clinic and Mr. O'Brian said (and this is a quote - it's been over thirty years but I can hear it like yesterday) "We're not too proud of that one." (After testing my brother's Marantz 2270, he said "They have some real engineers over there." but I digress...) The C-20 was IMHO a quantam step above the Dyna PAS 3, and is still the most flexible preamp I've ever used -if you are getting into old, pre RIAA records the C-20 is the unit to get. Equalization curves galore. The bass trims on the back are nice too, as is the variable loudness control. The things to watch out for are the volume control, which has been known to not track well after so many years (the left and right channels change volume at different rates as you turn the knob up or down) the phase switch, which for some reason increases distortion when engaged, running too long a cable run between the C-20 and whatever power amp you're using. As for the other Mac tube preamps, the C-22 is reportedly much better sounding. The C-11 is not as flexible a unit, but as a simpler design, is probably a bit cleaner. If I was grading a C-20, I'd say flexibility A, sound C-. I'd also have to say, at going rates, it's probably over-priced.