Whats up with the Denon POA-5200?

gamer

I am currently using a Denon 4800 and was wondering if

any of you guys think I would notice a difference using the POA-5200 to power my mains (KLF10s) for 2 channel music. I like the sound of the 4800 but Im thinking maybe this would be even better???

gamer-

I have the 4800/5200 pair as well. I initially had the 4800 powering my Forte IIs and they sounded great. Then I got the 5200 to allow me to run 7.1 and I tried hooking the Fortes to see if there was any difference. Truthfully, I really can't tell, so I have left them set up that way, rather than have to pull out all the wires and re-do.

However, I remember reading on a post here a LOOONG while ago that said the 5200 had slightly higher max wattage than the 4800 even though it is only rated to 120W vs 125W for the 4800. "Golden ears" may be able to tell a difference since the 5200 doesn't have all the extra equipment the 4800 does, but I'm a happy camper.

Using the seperate amp to drive the mains will take some of the load off of the power supply in the reciever if you are driving an HT.A seperate amp will improve the sound from a little to a lot,(depending on the power out and amp)but in your case maybe not.The 5200 has more of a power reserve than the 4800 and more head room.

I found that Denon,amps and recievers,need some time to"burn"in,IMHO.You might not notive any difference till you take the amp out and run the speakers from the reciever.

When I added a POA 2800('96 200X2)to my Klipschorns with a 3801 as a pre,I noticed more depth in the bottom end,detail was improved at low volume.Soundstage improved also.

I liked it so much I found one more to drive my center channel,bi-wired.

Don't need the power,but till I found the other amp,my center sounded lost compared to the K-Horns.

Maybe its just me but when I turn my sub off during music it seems like the KLF10s lack the bass I would expect from a speaker with 2 10" woofs. I did upgrade my speaker wires to the Z2 monster cable thinking that would help ( and actually I think it did a bit ) but they still seem to be a little light on the bass. Maybe more power will do the trick!!! Ill have to see.

cwm2.gif

The power supply and quality of components withn the average/above average AV receiver, be it Denon or anyone else in that range, is mediocre at best, even in a component like the 4800 which is no chump change at $1200 and does offer 125w into channels galore. It IS adequate and many will be very happy. But for a high resolution system or even a system to challenge the frequency extremes with any degree of aplomb, you will more than likely need to upgrade. The difference will not be subtle.

Components of this nature are really dealing with serious price points as well as a consumer market. Even though Denon is considered very respectable in that segment, they just arent going to be having the type of heavy duty, stiff power supply in that equipment. When you add in the fact that the receiver is dividing this power supply with three different components and all that circuitry, it really provides a no win situation for sound and a Win-Win situation for convienence. On top of that, that one box has enough circuitry and do-dads to put an aging 707 cockpit to shame.

The resolution and control of the extremes is just not there. Still, for five channels and all those options in one box, I dont think there are too many alternatives. Either divide and conquer or enjoy the many wonders of HT with a big compromise with two channel sonics.

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-21-2002 at 10:30 AM