SF2 break in?

Howdy, all...

Got a pair of SF2's Tuesday. They are being powered by a relatively stock Dynaco Stereo 70 with a Sansui CA2000 pre. Quite a non-harsh setup.

Problem is, at ~90db's or more, the sound becomes objectionable, but not entirely. *sigh* how to explain.

It's not harsh. It's not distorted. It is, however, disturbing. Instruments like trumpet, trombones and alto sax become almost painful. And that's just at 90db!

On Infinity's Polycell, this very same setup was TOO polite.

I've never heared a Klipsch sound like this, specially not on tubes! I spent a LOT of time listening to an uncle's Belles in the 80's. I know the K sound Smile.gif

So my question is.. how long for things to mellow out? They have maybe a whopping eight hours on' em right now.

(is it just me, or overall, is the SF2 quite the little performer?! I've heared some B&W and Tannoy offerings, small standmounts, that leave me feeling like cwm33.gif. These little SF2's sound MUCH bigger than they are.. not as big as 'scalas or Khorns, but quite big :D )

------------------

---

Klipsch SF2

Thorens TD145 / AT440ML turntable

Dynaco Stereo 70 power

Sansui CA-2000 pre

Pioneer RT707 tapedeck

Pioneer 4100 cd player

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

The HF driver, being horn loaded, moves very little. My experience is that it takes between 100-200 hours for the sound to settle in to its long term state.

Yow. Thanks!

FWIW, on the dealer's setup (yamahammer SS receiver) they were very nice even at 105db.

Wonder if the glass door to the left of the room is rearing its ugly head now that I have some decent HF drivers

cwm12.gif

Dont get me wrong, this is not bad-sounding, just a little hard-edged..

*sigh*. Y'know, it *could* be I'm used to very polite cone n' dome, i've had the infis for 12 years. Real horns in a real concert *are* kinda tough on the ears cwm32.gif

------------------

---

Klipsch SF2

Dynaco Stereo 70 power

Sansui CA-2000 pre

Pioneer RT707 tapedeck

Pioneer 4100 cd player

quote:

Originally posted by Seb:

the glass door could be a problem.

I auditioned the RF-7s at a dealer where two of the room's boundaries were glass, they were pretty bright, but at another, in the same kind of room size, but without the glass, they sounded much better, less edgy.

Hmmm... I'm kinda hoping that's not really it. Most of my apt has vast expanses of glass...

Come to think of it. the dealer's room had a glass back wall, and there wasn't any unpleasantnes... either they need breakin, or something is horked in my amp...i'll check bias when i get home.

------------------

---

Klipsch SF2

Dynaco Stereo 70 power

Sansui CA-2000 pre

Pioneer RT707 tapedeck

Pioneer 4100 cd player

Hey, just tape blankets on to your windows, not a problem, just go to a Salvation Army and get 50 blankets for $25! Youre in Florida, ocean view? (I know everyone in Florida doesn't have an ocean view, but even if you did have one, who needs it, you have Klipsch!) I hope you didn't take this post seriously!

For real: Horns are true and dont lie, they are almost aggressive! I don't like to listen to horn speakers when I'm really tired or in a bad mood, they just irritate me even more. You have to WANT to listen to REAL horn speakers; they will give you what is on your source material, though. I have almost considered building myself a little pair of bookshelf speakers with a thick, sloppy dome tweeter on it, just something to listen to if Im having trouble sleeping or in a bad mood.

How many of you have listened to a piece of music really loud, turned it off, and realized your heart was really pumping? It sure as hell happened to me after I listened to my dual 15 sub when I first got it. I dont think it being scared its just exciting and stimulating, like another recreational activity that comes to mind... (please excuse my bad taste and vulgar content, it has just been one of those days:-)

Hehehe. No ocean view. Just a muddy lake Smile.gif

I dunno WTF it was. THey sound *FINE* today!

It may have been the phase of the moon. It may hgave been my mood.

It may have been.... that I didn't face Hope, AR and chant the magic words..

All I konw is tonight I'm in bliss Smile.gif

I did drop the bias from 50ma to 45ma.. heared that russian EL34's ain't too happy at the customary 50ma. Did it help? NO idea :D

With tubes, I wouldn't call horns aggressive. I call 'em..revealing :D

------------------

---

Klipsch SF2

Dynaco Stereo 70 power

Sansui CA-2000 pre

Pioneer RT707 tapedeck

Pioneer 4100 cd player