KP-3000 Question

bhendrix

For that matter Bill, any info we could get on the WWR 4-digit numbers would be appreciated. I don't think Klipsch Tech Support has much more than a couple of brief descriptions on most of the models.

etc.

Thanks!

M

If you are referring to the KP-3002-C then it did not have a drone cone (passive radiator). The KP3002 had a K-48-KP woofer and a KP-65-E squawker on a KP-604 horn. This was a product in the K-Pro C Series carpeted range and was a trapezoidal enclosure

The KP320 had a 12" drone that was downfiring within the cabinet and "ported" forward

I have a scan of the spec sheet for the C-Series if anyone can tell me how to upload it here for all to see and share

thack

Bill, you are testing my memory and I probably have notes somewhere on this. The more I think about this .........KP-3000 tells me it was part of the C-Series (carpet/rat fur)...............and I am thinking that we built a limited run of KP320's in rat fur and called it a 3000. The KP320 was a good seller but a tad expensive for the market. Furthermore, to our astonishment, we learned that many disc jockeys and small bands had the perception that trapezoidal enclosures sounded better and we were running up against Yamaha and Peavey with their 15" two way rat fur boxes. Hence came the 3002 and small brother 2002 that replaced the 2000. There was no way to fit the drone into a trap box so the 3002 was vented via 3 large portholes.

The KP2500 was a carpet version of the KP250 and we later updated that puppy to a KP2502 (both horns tractric wave). We did the KP201 as a KP2000 before we made the KP-2002.

I remember that we initially had the rat fur enclosures made by Bullfrog in South Bend IN and shipped them to Hope to do the final assembly. They were built out of OSB (oriented strand board) and when we brought that process in-house we used real plywood.

I bet that Bullfrog found the 3000 a SOB to build.

Thack

Thack, any way of knowing which WWR bins were OSB and which were the later plywood models? Were they all rat fur?

I remember Bullfrog, we carried them at Calliope Sound in Indy. Do you remember John Schaeffer? He runs Indy Pro Audio now. We had the MCM, LB, LSI's back in the day. I turned 21 working for them around 1979.

There it is, Michael!! You da man . . . .

The KP-3000 did use the K-62 hf driver, same as KP-320.

3000/320 bass extension better than trap 3002. Passive helps.

3000/320 hf extension not as good as 3002. K-62 in 3000/320 vs K-65 (Eminence PSD 2002) in 3002.

What was difference between K-62 and K-65? Who was K-62 vendor?

PS. I have a pair of KP-320 cabinets (with passive) that I salvaged from trash that I put K-65 hf driver and 3002 crossover in. They sound terrific!!

I am thinking that all KP3002 and KP2002 were only ever plywood/rat fur. K-Pro C series probably all plywood/rat fur after 1994 maybe early 95. Before that the carpeted boxes were OSB. Apart from them no OSB was used in my time. Yes I remember John Schaeffer and ..... Gerry Schraeder from those days.