Power Handeling

NIque

So the KLF 30's can handle 200 watts of power continously and 800 peak, right. I am not sure what that means exactly, but I have this real old yamaha receiver, the one with an orange light display. yeah, it not the greatest. It puts out 125 per channel, so does that mean the speakers can handle ,max volume? I don't want to go out and buy another set of speakers so I haven't experimented to much yet. Basicaly, has anyone tested the durability of the KLF 30's in terms of loudness? Also, are the cones supposed to have movement, back and forth? These questions might seem like no brainers, but I am a little new at what certain things actually mean. So if anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

Nique

ok well i dont own the klf-30s but i can tell you that long before you get to the maximum power output on your receiver that you ears will give out because klipsch speakers are very very efficient which means that they are about the best speakers made for home use that take acoustical power given to them and convert that power into one helluva sound pressure level that comes out of them!! you probably will get nightclub loudness levels by the time you were to put oh maybe 5 watts into them continuously in a typical living room area...so be careful. to answer you question yes thats what the specifications mean is that the speaker in general can handle 200 watts of input power into some part of the loudspeaker whether its the tweeter section or the woofer section or crossover. yes the peak power is telling you that for a short instant the loudspeaker can handle about 800 watts input but this would have to be clean power coming into the unit not distorted harmonics that tend to burnout especially tweeters and crossovers...by the way woofers tend to show their distortion by makin a popping sound when they have reached the limits of their excursion or the end of their available cone travel movement...i dont think with the speakers you have that you will have any problems playin them very very loud as long as your amp is clean....by the way in most receivers and amps once they go over their specified continuous outputs that they are rated for they go downhill very very quickly so what i am tryin to say is if your amp is rated clean out to 125 watts that it might start clipping distortion by just being pushed a lil more to say 135 watts continuos and at that point will distort audibly...audible distortion is a sign of pain in audio equipment as soon as you detect it yu turn eveythin down or risk damage to amp or speakers or both...goodlluck and maybe some folks who own klf-30 will chime in now with more comments for you!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears

adcom 545 amp driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!