Anyone using Promedia 5.1's in a home theater?

xj0hnx

Hello,

My Father gave me a set of the Promedia 5.1 that have developed the "hum". I took the satellite's and replaced my hodgepodge speakers (Bose 301's for the mains, a Kenwood center and subwoofer, and some JBL's in the rear), I haven't gotten a chance to really push it, but I am goin to tonight :) to decided if I am going to keep it, or go back to my old set up, and get the amp fixed for PC use. Right now I have only the satellites, but was wondering if their is a way to use the sub? I doubt my Onkyo TX-SR600 can push it unpowered, but if it's possible, that would be cool.

Thank you,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, can't believe no one has even looked at this, must be a dead forum eh? Well if anyone cares, the satellites work great with my Onkyo, and I am still interested in trying to get this subwoofer integrated ino the system if anyone has any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, does your eceiver have sub out jack? Also if your receiver does not have the sub out for non powered subs it will not work, you will need to havethe amp working in the sub.

If your receiver has the sub out jack, I suggest to get the klipsch amp repaired and use the sub as powerd sub, I'm running this setup on an Onkyo TX-DS787 and works great.

Elliott

Hello Elliott, I had talked to you via email a couple weeks ago about getting my BASH amp fixed :). Unfortunately my receiver doesn't have a sub out, it only uses powered subs.

How is the quality of the sound with this in a home theater setting? The sub I have now is pretty...rumbly :) I just don't want to get this fixed, and thenhave it not be up to snuff. Obviously it isn't going to rattlemy teeth out of my skull, but it is nice a deep?

Do you have the promedia Ultra or THX model?

If you have the
Ultra sub then the bass is pretty deep and loud, enough to get you in
trouble with the neighbors it will make the stuff on your desk rattle at full blast and the THX sub is not that strong but is OK for a room..

Also I checked on your receiver's model and you do have a Subwoofer pre out jack but in order to use it you need your Klipsch amp working.

My receiver is hooked up from the PC's digital optical output to the back of the receiver's digital optical input 1 using a 6ft optical wire, and
all the satellites hooked up from the speaker out on the back of my receiver, and finally the
Klipsch Sub w/its amp is just connected from the back of the receiver's "sub pre out
jack" using rca to phono jacks (can be found at wall mart in the ipod accessories section) and then to the center/sub jack (orange) from the back of the
Klipsch amp and also the front speakers jacks out from the back of the receiver and to the Klipsch amp front speakers jack (green) this is needed for louder sound,
the (black) jack from the back of the Klipsch amp is not used since you
will have all your satellites hooked up from the receiver .

The biggest advantage in running this setup is that you will be using optical which is a digital audio signal and it will sound very clean and loud, (kind of like comparing digital TV to analog) also your Klipsch amp will only concentrate its power on the sub out so it will sound louder and will last longer since you'll be running the satelites from the receiver....You don't even need a fancy audio card on your computer if it already has the optical out from the motherboard [H]

Happy moding..

Elliott

I have the Ultra :)

I am not using a PC in the system, I've got my DVD player, Western Digital HD Media player, Xbox 360, and it's HD DVD player connected via optical to the receiver, and HMDI to the TV, then the all the satellites connected to the receiver using 16g speaker wire. Right now I have a Kenwood powered sub amp, and enclosure pushing a Phase Linear 10" sub, which is pretty loud, I just don't want to spend the money fixing the Klipsch sub if it isn't going to be as good.