different speakers in parallel?

dgoreck

Ok. So I have a pair of KHO-7's installed on my boat in the wheelhosue. These speakers are 8ohm. Now I am driving them with a Jensen VM9412 headunit. Most car audio equipment is 4 Ohm and the KHO-7's are 8Ohm. This isn't really a problem, as well I am just cutting down the max wattage by about 1/2 with the increased resistance. So we get like 20W peak vs 40W and 6W vs 13W RMS. The speakers sounded awesome last year. Now I have some small holes near the floor in the wheel house that use to hold the old speakers. They are like 5 1/4"s. I was thinking of looking for a set of marine/weather speakers to put in them that where 8Ohm and hooking them up in parrallel so that I would create a 4Ohm load. Normally I wouldn't have an issues with this if I was doing this with a pair of identical speakers, such as subwoofers. My fear is the actual Ohm resistance of two different speakers in parallel and how the amp would behave since each speaker would have different resistances across the frequency spectrum. I can't use the other channels(rear) as they are hooked up to a set of 4Ohm speakers already inside the cabin.

Am I over thinking this or is this something I should be conserned for the speaker and amps's well being.

Thanks, Dan

One issue is to watch out for the crossover frequency. If they are the same on both sets of speakers....the load will dip pretty low...maybe even too low.