Ariston Turntable

lynnm

I just bought an old Ariston RD80sl with a Grace tonearm,(707?), and a Grado GT cart. Even though the stylus weight,anti-skate, and tonearm height were way out of whack the thing sounded marvelous while being played through a system that was overall a true sonic horror- so I bought it!

My understanding is that the first generation Linn LP12 was based on this table. I am curious have any of you listened to an Ariston? What was your impression?

After adjusting the arm as well as I could without any documentation, I played some vintage LP's (Mono and Stereo) on my system. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! I found myself hearing details on my old LP's that I had never being really aware of in the past.

Late last August I purchased my KLF30's and bragged about it on this board. One of our members welcomed me and warned me that a sharp,short upgrade path lay ahead of meLOL - He got that right! I have completely replaced my old setup in that time Smile.gif

My current system:

Sources: Cambridge Audio D500se

Ariston Audio RD80sl,Grace 707,Grado GT

Amp: Antique Sound Lab AQ 1003DT

Speakers: KLF30

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Yes mine has the 2 piece platter a'la the Acoustic Research XA and XB.

The turntable mat is from an Oracle which I think is a little unusual but the package sounds fine.

My understanding is that the founder of Linn worked for Ariston for a few months and left the company to build his own turntables after a dispute arose between his family and the owners of Ariston. As near as I can recall his family's engineering firm produced the platters and some other components for the Ariston turntables. I do not know what the issues between the two groups were however.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)