Yamaha Front Effects

aab3rd

I know a lot of people have Yamaha recievers with front effects. Most if not all seem to like the effects. My question is this: Since I run separates (presently Parasound AVC1800 pre/pro (Outlaw on order) and the Marantz MM9000) I was wondering if you could simulate the front effects with an old pro logic reciever like some people have done with the rear center chanel.

a, sounds like an idea. just tried to find the yammy fe specs but to no avail. maybe somebody who better knows the yam dsp could chime in.

my guess is the fe are limited freq range (like 1khz or

higher) & use delay (maybe some reverb?) on the respective front L&R material. so they don't need a lot of wattage.

so what u'd probably need to do is find the right hook-up & settings to keep the L & R channels seperate while also adding delay effect.

couldn't do this w/ any of my receivers in prologic i would think caus u can't delay the fronts &, if the rear outputs were used, then both sides would be mono.

sorry don't see a way to do it w/ a prologic receiver. for a rear center it works caus you're taking a stereo channel & extracting the mono. here you'd want to take a stereo channel as is & add those effects that can only be done to the rear channels.

there probably is some easy way to do it now, but i tried.

cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Worthwhile Front Effects are hard to come by because they take personal knowledge and effort to make them truly joyful... so they are fading from even Yamaha's production lines.

I find them very worthwhile in creating an "live" soundstage... and will probably build the electronics and amps to make them available with any high quality pre-amp.

I have posted a more comprehensive discussion of the problems and opportunities of Front Effects speakers in a separate thread.

I especially admire the inquiring attitudes taken by Boa and T-T-K... and aab3rd inquiring mind. The challenge of Front Effects is to get a "first reflection" nuance of the sound coming from the Left and Right Mains. I haven't tried it (I have never been a big fan of ProLogic) but I should think the narrow range of a ProLogic surround out would defeat much of the benefit Front Effects speakers provide.

Of course, there are also DSP functions that had been in the older Yamaha high end lines that are not likely to be available in the new offerings. I appreciate your interest... but the times they are a changing... and not always for the better.cwm36.gif HornEd