speaker question

dustwvl

It seems most peole here recommend always setting your front speakers to small even if they are towers. What is the advantage to that. I am new to all this stuff. I have front towwer speakers and the book for the reciever says to set towers as large. My Subwoofer turns on and off a lot because it has a automatic shutoff if it does not recieve a signal for awhile. I wonder if setting the fronts to small would help this because all the bass would be sent to the sub. I would probably have to set the crossover higher then right?

tell us a bit more about what supporting equipment you have.setting to 'small' will bring the sub into play more. also,turn the sub volume down and your sub line out up to provide more signal, yet maintain the same volume level.this should keep the sub playing.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

It does depend on your speakers but 95% of the time they can't handle the same bass your sub can. If you set your mains to large they get all the range even the bass they can't play. It just allows the mains to play the range they do best and the sub to do what it does best.

john, powered subs have amps that amplify a preamped signal when connected to the receiver or pre/pro's sub preamp output. the preamp whether seperate or in a receiver is what controls the overall volume. the sub output control whether in the preamp or on the sub itself is used to best balance the sub volume relative to that of the other speakers to your tastes/preferences.

w/ higher volumes from the preamp, most sub amps will overload the driver if turned to the max. know mine on my velo will even beyond 6/10 on higher volumes. have mine set to about 4/10.

some say to turn the preamp sub output all the way down

& use the sub's amp. say the preamp puts out less distortion that way. but as above the problem there is

your sub won't wake up as readily.

so it's a delicate balance again. i just leave the preamp sub output flat & use the test tones/meter to set the sub w/ it's output control.

but of course for a smaller sub one may have to bump up both controls. again there takes some experimentation to find the best balance of bass quality & quantity.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-21-2002 at 12:08 AM