Looking For Schematic or Diagram: AA Crossover Network and Heresy I and II - round cup Xover Networks

nola

Time to finally redo my crossover networks. Not sure whether to buy kits from Mr Crites or just buy some from the usual sources mentioned here. I need to know the capacitor sizes to buy, hence the need for the diagram or schematics. I had one for the Heresy II, but it is now AWOL.

My only install Q: are they polarized or directional? If so, how do I know which way to place them in? I think the guys who repair our X-ray equipment can also decipher the diagrams. I have a friend in the area who knows about these things, but trying not to use up too many favors. When he let me borrow an SET tube amp this past fall, I realized that my networks were dead.

I think I may get the trachorn 400s and one of the ALK Xovers for the Khorns (75-79, AA network). Have already chatted with Mr K. Still confused about whick of his networks to buy or build from kit.

Thinking about just recaps on the LaScalas (1975-1979, AA crossover network). I do not foresee being able to fit these in my bedroom as main speakers, unless I move again. Currently disconnected in the main room, where they were used as nice rear speakers. My plan now is to split them up into center channel speakers in the main room (Khorns as mains) and bedroom (WF-34s as mains, as only towers seem to fit, and barely at that).

Heresy Is (1975-1979) have never been opened, so I don't know which crossover network they have. I can provide serial numbers or open them up if needed. They and the Khorns are in great cosmetic shape. My plan is too use them as rear speakers in the main room. From what I have seen, these should be very easy to recap with ?2uF x 2 caps per speaker. Mr K said that he does not do Heresy upgrades. I lost Popbumpers phone number and do not know how to contact Dean G. The cap kit is listed on the Crites website.

Heresy IIs (1985 or 6), round cup type. When I called Klipsch, I was told that were made in May ?85 or 86, very early in the H II production run. Both have cabinet damage that I think will be easy to repair, mostly a reseal for the glue at the back panel - glue or add small screws too. I bought them in September and plan to use them as rears in the bedroom. If I can figure out a way to make room for one as the RT side front speaker, I would consider them as mains too. I had been told in the past that the quality of the round cup crossovers or caps were not something Klipsch was particularly proud of. I think they were made in China or assembled in Hope from Chinese parts. If you folks suggest an entirely new or different xover, please post. They need 3 caps per speaker and I think the current blue color caps are labelled.

I did some searches but I am not entirely certain that I found the correct links for network pics Any assistance appreciated.

Thx from New Orleans

PS: I am now in a state of De Nile as KlipschIndyFan told me that the Berlin Nefertiti behind me in my avatar picture (Nofretete in German) is a fake from 1912. Oh well.....

I may have to take the back off my H IIs, but is it a 68uF or a 6.8uF capacitor?

One of the biomed techs thought 68 uF to be pretty high. Also told me to ask about voltage needed.

He told me to buy a kit and be done with it, but other DIYers out there with experience at these things might benefit from my Qs.

Thx all, and Mr. Crites is super on the diagrams :):)

I ordered the 3 recap kits from the Crites family today. Like most folks here, they were SO NICE. Got some gaskets too. I will likely do the various upgrades by June. May do the Crites tweeters for the Khorns, but want want to hear my Khorns with the ALK Trachorns (bought via the garage sale forum) and my Khorn K77 tweeters and new AA network caps first. If I am happy and can hear the diffs between SS amps and my McIntosh MC240s (push pull tube amps), I might stop there. O/W, I might consider the 125 tweeters and the ALK universal xovers. Mr K was also very nice over the phone last week about my upgrades. But I got confused with all the part numbers. His main point, decide on the squaker horn first, was my reason for doing the trachorn now.

Mr Cs son also mentioned another xover network, the Crites A/4500. Any opinions vs ALK Universals? I really do not want to spend $1300-1400 on big Als major xovers.

Also mentioned titanium? diaphrams for the Heresy IIs. But as these are destined for rear speaker use in the bedroom, I am unlikely to do that upgrade. I was also warned about the difficulty in messing with my round cup H IIs, but might as well recap them now too (23 yrs old).

As for my LSs, they are destined for center channel use. I do not intend to cut them up for placing new horns. So I think their only "upgrade" will likely be new caps. If I get the ALK Universals later on, I will try them on the LSs too, if Mr K says they will Xover ok for the Klipsch squaker. I think he said the Trachorn 400 uses a different xover point than the stock PWK squaker mid range product, so that might not be a good idea. (Gotta find some good, cheap Belles, hehehe......)