MAC 240 seeking advice KLIPSCH RF 3 II / RF-5's or RF-7's

Just signed in to read forums and to get some sort of idea on what to get my son (graduating college) Leaving for 6 yrs grad school at Northwestern, live in Pa. Were my wife wants to get a 50" TV and playstation III. He's a great kid. I introduced him to my music Albums, tube equipment etc...2 years ago he bought his 1st turntable and an old Mcintosh receiver in need of repair, and fixed it himself. If he has any faults (if you want to call it that) He is very cheap, he appreciates fine audio but would never spend any money even on himself. I just purchased a MC240 MAC tube amp and looking for speakers from what I have been reading Klipsch w/their horns are a pretty good deal. I know he will flip when he sees the MC280 I seen a set of RF-7’s here. Worked on by DeanG (sent a message have not heard back yet) also found a nice RF3 II for $600. (need to got to Brooklyn to pick up). But I am leaning towards a set of either RS-83 (may be too expensive) or RS-82’sThe RF-83 are new B stock for $1099each free delivery (only 4 sets left so I have to make a decision right away) The RF-82 I can also get for around $800 new. Money is always an issue but for $1099. I do not know if I could pass that up.The best deal by far is the RF-83’ but B stock is concerning. I like the RF 3’s (best price but have to drive to NY), Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks To All Great Job You Are Doing Here

Kevin

If money is that main concern, have you looked at the used Heritage line of speakers. For under $1000 you can get some really great speakers, pair of Cornwalls, 2 pairs of Heresy. For a dorm room the Heresy speaker might be a better choice, small but packs a good punch.

Out of the speakers that you mentioned the RF-83's are great speakers, I also have them, but the thing that worries me would be the shipping part. A lot of people are having a big problem with damaged speakers upon arrival. Plus the price is right about 21% off MSRP, you should look around your local dealers as you might be able to get a similar deal.

As far as the RF-7 with the Dean mod. Some say the RF-7 had some harshness to the top end and the mod changes that to blend a lot better. I have not heard the original RF-7 or RF-7 modified. You can do a search here and find a lot of information about it.

James

Others have answered here....