96khz/24 bit DAC VS 192khz/24bit DAC ????

johnny24c

I have a Denon 4800 receiver (96khz/24bit) and a Panasonic RP91 DVD player (192khz/24bit). After doing a lot of experimentation with both, I stopped using the DAC's on my Denon altogether. I am using the 5.1 DVD-A audio outs on the RP91 and running 6 RCA (Outlaw) cables into my Outlaw ICBM. I am running 6 more RCA's from the output of the ICBM to the External Inputs on the Denon. I then monitor EXT-IN on the Denon (no DAC's, DSP's, etc), sit back and enjoy. I just felt that there was more air around the instruments and better saparation. I now listen to regular 2-channel stero, DVD-A and DVD-V (DD 5.1 and DTS) this way and prefer it over the digital cable, and letting the Denon do the conversion. Of course, another benefit is the bass management from the ICBM, but I preferred this method even before acquiring the ICBM...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

From what I understand there are very few 24/192 releases in DVD-A. There seems to be a problem using it for multi-channel or even longer stereo recordings because it takes up a lot of space. Some even claim SACD at 24/96 is better. Others question whether DVD - A or SACD will survive. Consequently I would NOT make it a factor in deciding. If it did somehow emerge the output from the player is going to be analog anyway,I think. I would go for the high quality sound from the 1050 over features of questionable use in units that don't sound as good anyday.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

I guess I am so enthusiastic about it for two reasons: people thank me for recomending it and I marval at the quality of sound every day. I have not been able to A/B it to anything other than my two old Sony 100 wpc prologic receivers - one a regular the other ES - and have listened to the others in local hi=fi stores and they don't sound anywhere as good but then they are not being played through Klipschorns. Professional and consumer reviews have all found it better than the ones you mentioned - not always feature wise or cosmetically but in terms of sound quality. Consumer reviews can be found at www.audioreview.com - since they are consumer reviews you have to look for a clear trend - as with professional reviews for that matter - in the case of Outlaw products the trend is loud and clear - outstanding quality in a plain jane wrapper at an outstanding price.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

I wasn't trying to sway Johnny towards either unit. I was just pointing out that in my case the 192/24 DAC's in my Panny sound better than the 96/24 DAC's in my Denon. Yes it's true that most DVD-A are 96/24 but there are a number that have a 2-channel 192/24 (Eagles - Hotel California as an example) recording. If you do have a DVD-A/SACD player, you may want to try listening via the analog 5.1 cables (DVD player DAC's) and compare it with the DAC's in your receiver/pre-pro...

Mike

Mike Lindsey........... sway all you want. that is why I ask these questions. ALL opinios are welcome and appreciated, especially by people who actually own this stuff and comparred it. This is how I decideded on my RF-7's RC-7 and really like them. I never go by the opinion of just one pearson, but when a majority agree on something it is usally a safe bet. Thanks