What is the dispersion of the K-400 horn and La Scala's bass dispersion near crossover?

m8o

I've looked a good bit, but didn't find :

Is the K-400 a [HxV] 60x40 or 90x40 or 120x50 degree (all approximate) or some variation therein?

Does the K-400 get beemy before crossing over to the tweeter? (not that important, just curious)

And how does the mid horn match the bass in the La Scala? What is the approximate dispersion of the la Scala's bass horn in the 300 - 500 hz region?

Answers to any appreciated; to all a gold star. [H]

Thanx,

-steve

• Like 1

The only information on polars that I know of appeared in a spec sheet for the industrial LS. It should be the same as the normal LS because there are no changes to speak of.

See: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/29002/243775.aspx#243775

I note that measurements were made on a ground plane (a simple floor I expect).

I had questions similar to yours. It would be interesting to see the individual horns in free space or just looking into half space. That is to say, mounted in a wall.

I suspect that the K-400 is beaming more than the graphs suggest. That is because the plane wave tube of the Atlas driver really drops above 3 kHz. So the K-400 should be beaming, picking up on-axis gain, above that freq. to keep things working up to 6 kHz.

OTOH, the older I get, the more I've been proven wrong. Therefore, perhaps we will just have to wait for someone to make actual measurements in a more controlled situation..

Wm McD

Awesome. Thanx very much for that. Page 2 is exactly what I was looking for; or at least while not polar plots provides enough info to give me what I was looking for. [Y] (yes, directivity of the swaker certainly does become very high before x-over to the tweeter) Thanx very very much.

-steve

P.S. while I understand you point about more formal measurements, I can't help but consider how this speaker's bass horn -needs- to interact with the floor, and how I'd like the mid horn to match that in-room, and better than I think/see the K-400 does. So I acutally like this sort of testing better for what I'm working on. I have 800Hz and 500Hz smith horns, but I'm beginning to consider a JBL 2380A or 2382A instead as a better match. (I'm using mini smith horns for tweeters already.)

• Like 1