Kevin Kennedy triode amp?

TheEvan

Bought this homebrew from a forum memebr some years back and I'm ashamed to say I hadn't pressed it into service until just recently. It uses EL34 for output and the big center tranny is a very stout number labeled Philco. It's so ugly I never gave it much thought. Well, it's a ton of fun. Paired with a CJ PV11 it is very punchy, solid, authoritative, controls bass like a mother and is as quiet as a church mouse. Dead silent at full tilt. Choral music and organ come across wonderfully.

Know anything of this amp or builder?

I've heard the amplifier and had one on my workbench several years ago -- I wonder if the one you have is that very amplifier? Kevin Kennedy, who is quite well-known in many DIY circles, didn't build the one I worked on, although it was his design. I remember it having, as you described above, very punchy and tight bass response. My memory may be failing me here, but I think I found the highs just a little crisp. The circuit was built into a simple, unpainted chassis, and as I remember did have a large power transformer.

Congrats!

Erik

Might be the one, Erik. It's not built by Kennedy and yes, it's a simple, unpainted chassis. I bought it from the rock drummer from Houston's environs that used to frequent the forums (can't remember his name). I'm not finding the highs especially crisp. But then they're not laid-back either. That could easily be chalked up to preamp/amp synergy, though.