Klipschorn help

New member here. I just went to check out a single Klipschorn speaker. Aware of them but don't know much. It's Huge 54"X32"x24". Is this the factory size or a custom, the seller wasn't sure. I didn't have an amp to test the drivers but the seller put a meter on them and said they were active??. The compression driver is an Altec, is that original for a Khorn??it was not attached to the horn!! I don't know why!! I could't inspect the woofer cause it's a sealed cabinet. What should be in there, and is there an easy way to check it out??Cabinet and grills in good shape but unattractive, If I buy this I waill probably do something to it, is that a veneer or solid wood??O.K. with all that said, what's it worth?? and How will a mismatched pair sound?? Thanks for reading...sorry no pics..

P.S. Is an original Khorn a 2 or 3 way system???

it could be a scrap heap or a decent set of speakers...can't tell with out pics...depending on how old it is there are a wide array of possible drivers...but...none of which would be altec drivers.

Klipschorns are three-driver systems. What you are describing sounds like someone's hobby construct. That's okay if you want to pay money for someone else's experiments, but it sounds to me as though you would benefit from doing a lot of research on Klipschorns, and this is the best place to do it. Search the archives, ask questions and look at new K-horns on this site. Familiarize yourself with them.

What is in the bass cabinet is one 15" woofer in a folder wooden horn. The cabinet containing the woofer on a K-horn is sealed, but there is an access door on the side of it where you can get to the innards. This should be sealed to prevent air leaks that will compromise the speaker's performance.

Two mismatched speakers will sound mismatched. Unless you want a strictly mono system, you should be looking for a matched pair of K-horns.

Good luck.

George

Good answer.

If you like music at all, consider becoming familiar with these speakers. Most anything you find with the Klipsch name on it is the best of the best. K-Horns have been in continuous production for around 62 years or longer, with only minor design tweaks, certainly no major changes to the design. Paul Klipsch was a visionary and a genius, and many years later many, many people still reap the benefits of his work.

Listen to some FOR REAL Klipsch speakers soon and be prepared for your life to never be the same again!