Logitech Harmony or one of those "special" universal remotes

MistaChy

There are a lot of very good remotes out there, but I consider the Harmony's as a very good value remote. I currently have a Harmony One (which I would highly recommend) which sort of has the "best of both worlds" with both dedicated buttons and a touchscreen. I think if you look at very many reviews of Harmony's remotes it is by far rated as their best remote. I know the 1000/1100 have a larger touchscreen and are more expensive in their lineup, but the dedicated buttons (especially with a DVR) are a lot more convenient. The Harmony One's can often be had new for less than $150 (Compares to $1000+ for the MX-6000).

This is just me being practical, but the trouble with any universal remote is that they really do not enhance the audio or video quality of any system. The main reason I purchased one is for the convenience of my wife and kids to control the home theater system. In that situation it has worked out very well and I find myself enjoying the convenience too. I know hobies (such as Home Theater) are not always about pratical thinking, but to pay multiple times what a "consumer" harmony would cost does not make sense to me (unless I am the one trying to sell the higher priced / custom programmed remote) even though I can afford to.

All of my components are hidden in an A/V closet (except my front projector) and I use a Microsmith Hot Link Pro (also highly recommended) to tranfer the I/R signal to control the components. You can also control lighting systems this way as well as the PS3 (although it does not work as well as PS3's dedicated BT remote).

There are a lot of very good remotes out there, but I consider the Harmony's as a very good value remote. I currently have a Harmony One (which I would highly recommend) which sort of has the "best of both worlds" with both dedicated buttons and a touchscreen. I think if you look at very many reviews of Harmony's remotes it is by far rated as their best remote. I know the 1000/1100 have a larger touchscreen and are more expensive in their lineup, but the dedicated buttons (especially with a DVR) are a lot more convenient. The Harmony One's can often be had new for less than $150 (Compares to $1000+ for the MX-6000).

This is just me being practical, but the trouble with any universal remote is that they really do not enhance the audio or video quality of any system. The main reason I purchased one is for the convenience of my wife and kids to control the home theater system. In that situation it has worked out very well and I find myself enjoying the convenience too. I know hobies (such as Home Theater) are not always about pratical thinking, but to pay multiple times what a "consumer" harmony would cost does not make sense to me (unless I am the one trying to sell the higher priced / custom programmed remote) even though I can afford to.

All of my components are hidden in an A/V closet (except my front projector) and I use a Microsmith Hot Link Pro (also highly recommended) to tranfer the I/R signal to control the components. You can also control lighting systems this way as well as the PS3 (although it does not work as well as PS3's dedicated BT remote).

does it sync with itunes on the computer ? thats the feature that im really liking.

from the product depscription:

"PC Server for MX-6000

Instead of purchasing an expensive “Media PC” or dedicated music server, any PC with iTunes and/or Windows Media Player can be connected to your audio system to act as a high powered music server with the most engaging, intuitive user interface you’ve ever seen.

MX-6000 Server is a software application that once installed on a PC, combines your iTunes library with your Media Player library. The MX-6000 utilizes its network connection via WiFi to communicate with the server software on the PC. Since all communication happens at WiFi “G” speeds, there are no lags or delays displaying the information or lists on the screen of the MX-6000. All your cover art, artist, album and song title metadata appear on the screen of the MX-6000. Lists are navigated via the integrated scroll wheel without ever connecting a keyboard or mouse to the PC. At last, you have access to all the music you’ve paid for... all the music you want without the hassles... the music simply plays..."

plus it just looks cool [:D]

http://www.universalremote.com/images/product_page/MX_6000/MX-6000_stand.jpg

MX-6000_stand.jpg

does it sync with itunes on the computer ? thats the feature that im really liking.

"PC Server for MX-6000

Instead of purchasing an expensive “Media PC” or dedicated music server, any PC with iTunes and/or Windows Media Player can be connected to your audio system to act as a high powered music server with the most engaging, intuitive user interface you’ve ever seen.

MX-6000 Server is a software application that once installed on a PC, combines your iTunes library with your Media Player library. The MX-6000 utilizes its network connection via WiFi to communicate with the server software on the PC. Since all communication happens at WiFi “G” speeds, there are no lags or delays displaying the information or lists on the screen of the MX-6000. All your cover art, artist, album and song title metadata appear on the screen of the MX-6000. Lists are navigated via the integrated scroll wheel without ever connecting a keyboard or mouse to the PC. At last, you have access to all the music you’ve paid for... all the music you want without the hassles... the music simply plays..."

plus it just looks cool Big Smile

Yes, I agree it does look very cool and most likely it would be very unique among your friends. No, the harmony does not connect with Itunes. If that feature is worth a $1000+ dollars to you then that may be the remote for you.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Apple TV do what you are asking (syncing Itunes, etc.) as a media server for only around $200? To me, that would seem the more practical allocation of my resources.

Dont know anything about remotes. I did buy a Harmony 880 used. After a while it wouldnt charge so I called Harmony thinking that i would have to buy a new charger or something. They sent me a new unit including a charger.No shipping charges or anything. It showed up in a couple of days. Pretty amazing customer service if you ask me. Just based on my experience I would highly recommend them. It works as advertised. Very easy set up and has been foolproof. And believe me I am some what of a fool on these sort of things!

Josh

"PC Server for MX-6000

plus it just looks cool Big Smile

Yes, I agree it does look very cool and most likely it would be very unique among your friends. No, the harmony does not connect with Itunes. If that feature is worth a $1000+ dollars to you then that may be the remote for you.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Apple TV do what you are asking (syncing Itunes, etc.) as a media server for only around $200? To me, that would seem the more practical allocation of my resources.

ive got a media center extender, ive got a samsung tv that does it... and neither work well at all. and i dont use either. the tv wont connect to the PC half the time through wise link, and the media center extent disconnects and resets itself to ground zero all the time, i cant keep a play list on it for nothing. that apple tv you mentioned might be something ill look into... but soon as i read that description of the mx6000, i felt a chil go down my back... or like chris mathews... i felt a thrill crawl up my leg.

thanks for recommending it, ill check it out