IMO: Multi-Channel Audio Lovers...

MistaChy

This is what I've experienced with multi-channel surround sound audio listening using the Marantz 8002 with the RF-82 Home Theatre System Components with a HKTS sub. The scoring system im using is not for liking, but rather its merely to give an example of the intensity or impression of the setting.

PLII Music: This is very delicious... If you like tight, flatter, cleaner bass and heavier more prevalent audio, this setting is great.

• Bass: 3 out of 5 (bass is not very heavy but has a stiff attack, rather light flat and tight)
  • Vocals: 5 out of 5 (very prevalent and clear, front and rear heavy, but not over bearing...)
  • Treble: 5 out of 5 (clear and shinny, bright but not intense... its perfect imo.)

In my opinion of this setting, it is better for hip hop or alternative type music... little bass and stronger midrange. (not very good for heavy D-bass which is very low frequency boomy-intense bass) This surround sound setting will not bring out the quality of the bass in the music but it is very good for pop country, disco, and various types of house/dance/trance music.

Neo:6 Music: This is a personal favorite of mine. Deeper intense bass and heavy surround speaker activity... However, with the great bass, the vocals tend to suffer. (see below)

• Bass: 5 out of 5 (Very deep, clean but slightly more muddy and boomy with a softer attack)
  • Vocals: 3 out of 5 (Vocal level is noticeably lower and more rear heavy so the surround speaker levels seem a much louder. For me its better to sit slightly closer to the front speakers to get a good balance.)
  • Treble: 4 out of 5 (clear but not as present, not intense but it is distinct)

If you like boomy bass music such as rap and heavy alternative filled with low bass frequencies, its great setting. However if you are very lyrically sensitive and like to hear the vocals at a stronger level, this might not be a very comfortable setting. Drum and Bass is really good for NEO:6 music.

CSII Music: This setting is like a merger of Neo:6 and PLII.

• Bass: 4 out of 5 (Not very heavy as Neo:6 rather not as muddy, but is more flatter instead, and very crisp and tight... its perfect imo)
  • Vocals: 4 out of 5 (Front and rear heavy, you dont really have to struggle to hear it and theres a perfect balance... not at all over bearing. However... in my opinion, the vocals sound better in this setting than they sound in PLII because in this setting the Vocals mix better with the Bass and Treble)
  • Treble: 4 out of 5 (clear, present, and shiny, but not as bright as PLII... rather a bit more subtle)

I've noticed that this setting is great for what ever i listened too, but particularly great for R&B. However, depending on the music, PLII and Neo:6 were a better match for certain songs.

Neural-THX is for multi-channel audio and I don't have very much of that, so I dont use this setting.

M-CH Music: This is the multi-channel music setting specifically for 2CH stereo music. It is very energetic (wavy ambiance) in my opinion.

• Bass: 5 out of 5 (Very front heavy... light in the rear, also very deep, louder (more intense), and muddy)
  • Vocals: 5 out of 5 (Not very intense in the front, but definitely prevalent. Very echoey and mesmerizing in the rear)
  • Treble: 5 out of 5 (Vey shiny and bright, will tweet your ears and make you open your mouth wide to rebalance your equilibrium)

This setting is very good for R&B, Dance, Trance, and Instrumental type music... the very mood of this setting is lights out with blacklights blazing. It is very enthralling and riveting.

M-CH Movie: Now I know this setting isn't for music, but it works very well with 2CH music and is designed for 2CH movies. It's almost identical to M-CH Music with only 2 minor differences.

• Bass: 5 out of 5 (Front AND rear bass heavy... This setting will make your surrounds kick and have bass.)

The other small difference is it doesnt have the echo effect of M-CH Music. The audio is without effects. I really like this setting and it is probably
my most listened to
surround setting
of them all because the audio is loud, bassy, and clear at the same time all around you. Thats my little personal surround sound heaven.

a_funny_music_note_000.png