Ortofon Step up Transformers

tom b. 57

I have come across a beautiful JVC Quartz Fully Automatic Turntable Model # QL-Y5F, that seems to play very well. It comes with an Ortofon MC 10 MK II cartridge and I am in need of a step up transformer.

My friend has two Ortofon T-5 step up transformers that he would be willing to sell me, but, neither one of us knows much about them. They are just cylinders that you hook in line with your turntable rca jacks. Is this all I would need to use to get proper volume out of my Sansui 9090db? What are these things worth? He says that they work properly.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you, Tom

They are just cylinders that you hook in line with your turntable rca jacks. Is this all I would need to use to get proper volume out of my Sansui 9090db? What are these things worth?

Yep, that's pretty much it. It's a simple and straight forward hook up that amplifies the MC carts gain, plug the outputs into the Sansuis phono input and you're good to go. Not sure what a T-5 is worth, but there is a T-10 on Audiogon for $150 right now... I don't the difference between the two.

Well, I picked up the T-5's for $75.00. I couldn't find out any info. on price for these little buggers. They do, do the trick though.

Amazing that these little transformers can help bring this cartridge to fruition. Best sounding cartridge I have ever owned. I am impressed.

Now my thoughts wander off to, "I wonder what a more expensive moving coil cart. would sound like?"

I think I need to stop and smell the roses first.

What an affliction this audio bug can be. LOL

Tom