Anybody using a Benchmark DAC1 USB?...

AnalogWave

I have one and love it. Cant say I have compared it to a lot of other DAC 's but I can say I never thought I would be as pleased as I am with my digital set up. Still prefer the LPs but with he convenience of the my music server combined with the Benchmark, I find myself listening to fewer and fewer LPs.

Not sure this helps much. I do know that they appear to hold their value pretty well. So if yo buy one used you could more than likely be able to get back what you put in if it doesnt meet your expectations.

Josh

Thanks Josh, I appreciate the input (Ha!.. input... I slay me)

After reading many reviews of the DAC1 I'd pretty much talked myself into one even though the cost of admission is a little steep for me. During the 'cash buidling' phase I had a moment of weakness and purchased something else for less than half the price (returnable) and so far it's fallen short of my expectations.

To complicate matters, I happened across and purchased the latest issue of The Absolute Sound which is labeled 'Digital Edition' and discusses many things DAC. A cursory view revealed no modern comparo of a Benchmark product to my dismay but did give me a rather bipolar impression of USB... "The Future"... "but it sucks"... A product from Focusrite named Saffire was lauded heavily for its Firewire prowess (which all my Macs support) but was considered the next Dodo by the very helpful gentleman I spoke to at Benchmark today. Not a surprise really so much as a painful reminder since I really like Firewire's speed.

I'm beginning to truly understand the heavily trafficed Used Market in this hobby - it's virtually impossible to make an educated first and final decision on a purchase. You pan the sand endlessly, keeping a few nuggets along the way while passing the rest downstream. That's a lotta' damn work with suddenly very real sums of money. I may have to enter self-imposed exile.