RB-81 with 2 subs

Mickey Ray

Thinking of putting together a system with a pair of RB-81 bookshelf speakers, mounted atop a pair of powered 15" subs. From what I've seen, going from floorstanders to bookshelves loses mainly bass. Are the RB-81s big enough to avoid a similar loss in the mids? The idea is a sort of Lego-built, 3-way monster tower that does away with the need for stands (I have a low sofa that's about 14' from my TV, so the speakers wouldn't have to be very high) while delivering mad sound. I'd be running the system with my Onkyo 7.2 receiver, the TX-SR607, set on bi-amp for the bookshelves. How would this rate on the slam-meter compared with, say, a pair of RF-82s/RF-63s with one sub? Replies appreciated.

Sounds like a great idea. Are you looking to build the subwoofer enclosures yourself or are you looking at a particular model sub?

You'll probably get more mid-bass and mid-range impact with the RF-82 or especially the RF-63 but I've heard that the RB-81s are very nice.

You might want to think about the vibration of the subwoofer affecting the sound output from the RB-81s if they're sitting directly on the subwoofers. I don't know how noticeably the sound would be affected but I have to imagine that the whole speaker vibrating from being so close to the sub might adversely affect the sound.