Sub Crossover Reference Point

John0392

I will be very soon receiving my RF-3 and Rc-3 and already have KSW 12". I understand the acoutic equation; however, I am seeking a reference point for the crossover/volumn on the sub.

1) with mains set to Small

2) with mains set to large

I can start at this reference and then tweek from there. My room is approx. 13'x13' with a very small window (Basement) and a 7" ceiling. Good Ambiance room.

Thanks

john, assuming you use a receiver sub preout (which usually is all around best) & your receiver has a fixed high & low pass cross of 80hz or higher, then you just have to try large vs small for all bassy 2 channel or 5.1 material to see what's best to you.

most receivers send all lfe to the sub preout when you set sub:yes, so unless you wanna cut off some lfe which

some mixers take even above the speced 120hz, then you probably wanna turn the ksw cross all the way to the highest it goes & let your a/v receiver do the filtering.

if you have a yammy or certain others that let you send

lfe to both the sub & fronts, then you could maybe use that along w/ the sub's low pass crossover & the fronts

set large.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

oh & as far as the sub volume control, set that using test tones & a sound meter if you want the best results. i leave w/ my sub output control in the receiver or prepro at flat (+/- 0db), then set about 2-3db over the other speaks level using the sub's output control.

preferences & room acoustics vary, so there is no set answer for both your questions even if we know exactly what you're using. so above are just general guidelines. especially when you get new stuff, always tweaking to be done. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

& another option is to set sub:no, wire the ksw & the fronts both to the same fronts speaker terminals of your receiver, set fronts large & use the ksw' crossover to blend w/ your rf-3.

i tried this route a while back & found that the lfe wasn't as dynamic as when using the sub preout hookup.

but again circumstances & results do vary.

& yet another is if your receiver has front preouts, run both of them line level to the L&R rca inputs of your ksw (rf-3 connected speaker level to the receiver front terminals as usual). use same receiver settings as above & your ksw crossover. though again i didn't find the overall sound & lfe as dynamic.

just wanted to cover all the bases for the other options some use to their satisfaction.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-02-2002 at 11:06 PM