"Noise" on HDMI Switcher

brian berube

I have tried a couple of HDMI switchers in the past week. I am hooking up a streaming blu-ray player--LG 390--and a satellite box to my projector. I have tried different HDMI cables and I keep getting lines running through my picture. Anyone have a similar problem and a fix? Anyone using an HDMI switcher they are particularly please with? By the way, the streaming BluRay player is magnificent. I am preparing to cut off the satellite service. Was primarily using the satellite to watch movies, or HBO (mostly boxing) and with the streaming LG I have access to Netflix, Cinema Now, VuDu, You Tube, etc. I believe this is the future of television. For some time I had wondered why you couldn't just go on to your cable/satellite box and bring up any movie you wanted, pay for it and watch it. With this streaming player you just about can. Netflix offers a large number of movies that you can "watch instantly" and you just go to their website, set up a queue, then go to your blu ray player--for me it is connected to my projector and the movies are waiting for me to watch anytime I want. It is great!

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Hey Brian,

Do you still get the lines if you run the HDMI Cable to the TV, bypassing the switcher?

Is the switcher plugged into the same outlet as everything else?

If you disconnect the satellite wire coming through the wall, do you still get the lines while watch a BluRay disc?

I'm really thinking out loud, so to speak. I do not have a BluRay player or a switcher, but these things can have an influence on electronics.

This question/situation may be better for the HT section of the forum.

Let us know if this helps,

Dennie

Dennie and 99. Thanks for your responses. I have been running the HDMI to the projector and to each of these devices, separately, until I decided I was tired of unplugging and plugging in the cable to each device when I wanted to use them. I had an IOGear switcher just a couple of days ago and I got the same results. Don't know if it makes any difference that the BluRay player is connected to the internet? I appreciate you guys weighing in with your thoughts and experience.

Dennie and 99. Thanks for your responses. I have been running the HDMI to the projector and to each of these devices, separately, until I decided I was tired of unplugging and plugging in the cable to each device when I wanted to use them. I had an IOGear switcher just a couple of days ago and I got the same results. Don't know if it makes any difference that the BluRay player is connected to the internet? I appreciate you guys weighing in with your thoughts and experience.

Well, have you unplugged your internet connection to see if the "lines/noise" goes away?

I would unplug one thing at a time, when the "noise" goes away, you have found your culprit!

Dennie

Dennie,

Once again, I am the idiot. If I had thought about it at all I would have realized it is not the internet connection; I have been watching the blu ray player--with the internet connection--through my projector without any interference. The interference only shows up when I connect to an HDMI switcher. Don't know if it would make any difference to buy a higher end switcher or not; maybe I will try one of those this weekend. Thanks again.

Dennie,

Once again, I am the idiot. If I had thought about it at all I would have realized it is not the internet connection; I have been watching the blu ray player--with the internet connection--through my projector without any interference. The interference only shows up when I connect to an HDMI switcher. Don't know if it would make any difference to buy a higher end switcher or not; maybe I will try one of those this weekend. Thanks again.

Hey Brian,

You're not an Idiot, this stuff get complicated.

Now, where is the switcher plugged it? Is it grounded? Can it be grounded?

Try running an extension cord from a different part of the house that is on a different circuit. I am no expert, but sometimes EMI (electromagnetic interference) or RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) is introduced into the chain and causes havoc.

If we keep eliminating possible causes, we may solve the problem and then I can bill you for it!!! [:o] [;)]

Dennie