Got a refurb hk-254 in Canada... thanks to Frank1938!

psg

Hi all,

I had been watching the hk-254 refurbs on ebay with a jealous eye, since we can't purchase them in Canada. You need a US shipping address and a credit card from a US bank. I guess Harmon Audio are protecting their Canadian distributor.

So when I saw Frank1938 advertise his hk-254 in the Garage sale section, I offered to buy it for a similar price. We were all set, except that shipping was going to be expensive. Frank knew some people travelling to Canada and offered to ask them if they would cross the border with the box and mail it from Canada. He followed up two leads for me! However, none worked out, and by then his son called dips on the receiver so he apologizedd that he could no longer sell it to me.

I understood, and half-jokinly asked if he felt bad enough to buy one for me on ebay and mail it to me. Well, the man did it! bidding severals times until he got me one for under $250. By then I found a colleague who works in Maine and lives a few streets away from me, and who travels between places every two weeks. Frank bought the receiver, checked it out when it got to his place, and shipped it to my friend in Maine who drove it in here for me, clearing customs without paying taxes (below his $750 exemption), in exchange for a good bottle of wine.

The receiver mades three travels before getting to me but got here safely and cheaply. I got it for C$350 or so (including the three shipping legs), and they sell here for C$800 plus taxes (Canadians will know that a total of C$350 is like buying something for C$300 and adding taxes). Not bad, and all thanks to Frank!

So... Thanks Frank! You are quite the gentleman!