82 KHorns vs new

Sherlock

Khorns are not currently in production so finding a new pair would be difficult. You can save a lot by buying used. The trick is finding a pair within pick up distance because at 168 lbs shipping and crating can be expensive. They do seperate into two parts. The year they were made makes for some small but debatable differences. If you can get a pair in good condition for under $2000. grab them regardless of year made.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

My Khorns are '87 vintage and I LOVE them. I prefer the older horns constructed from Plywood. The newer khorn are called engineered wood, which is a better term for particleboard! Being a musician, I have personally destroyed a 15-year-old guitar speaker made of Particleboard over time by vibrations. I am not convinced the newer Khorn speakers will last a lifetime. I honestly believe my Grandchildren will be using my plywood khorns someday after I am gone.

I also prefer the older mid horns made out of Aluminum, rather than the newer molded plastic horns with the foam core. They moved away from Aluminum because they "ring" at loud volumes. But that is easily fixed by dampening the outside of the horn body. To me - The older aluminum horns sound more LIVE. The newer ones are more tame or smooth. It is really a personal preference.

I have found that the diehard analog / tube guys prefer the older Khorns and are willing to pay more for them.

If you get the older model - I would dampen the midrange horn, upgrade the crossover networks and internal speaker cable. I believe the '82 models did not have monster cable from the factory.

Good Luck in your search.

JM