Using a Power Amp with My Setup

chickenhawk2

Hi All,

I'm running a Yamaha HTR-5760 with RF3 II's in the front, an RC35 in the center, two SS.5's in the back, and a KSW 10 & MartinLogan Dynamo for subs (the ported and non-ported combo yields a pretty good sound in movies). I still have a KSW 15 sitting on standby as well (it just didn't quite cut it for me - you'd have to really crank up the sound on the whole system to get it going).

I walked into a deal on a Parasound HCA-806 today and scooped it up. It's a 1000 watt amp that, at continuous power output, runs 80 watts RMS x 6, 20 Hz-20kHz @ 8 ohms (which I really don't know much about - doesn't seem to add up to 1000 watts to me). There's other settings with bridging and whatnot, but that's the basic function using all channels.

I've heard that using a decent power amp will add warmth and get a better general sound out of my speakers due to the fact that most receivers are under powered. I often have trouble with voices during movies and often feel that my towers aren't producing enough "oomph."

My Yammy is rated at 110W x 7. My center is 125 w max continuous (500 w peak). My fronts are 150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak). I'm not worried about the rears. I've heard that receiver makers usually over promise on the wattage. So....will I blow the speakers if I add the amp? If so, should I even mess with the subs, due to the fact that they are already "powered" subwoofers?

I appreciate everyone's help!

Hello, Want to hear music like it has never been heard before? Here are some good choices. There are some class a amps for a reasonable price, such as Nakamichi Statis, SAE, Denon POA and some others. Look very closely at using a car amp such as I have been doing for the last 5 years biamped. That is a hi output dj amp on the bottom and the class a amp on the mids and high freqs. If you do this you will need to get a 12vDC power supply range of 10 to 20 amps. I also use a DBX expander and a Bose 901 EQ. Sound nuts? They are driving some altec horns coupled to Pioneer DX63 cabs with all removed but the woofers. I did the crossovers. Took a while to get it right. Soooo much crap out there about what you should do. I'm giving you the real scoop! At 61 life is getting shorter and far more important than to give someone some crap information. You will need a little patience to work through some small problems, but if you pursue this, the sound will be viberant and very live. In audio, most important is sensitivity, Freq range then accuracy. A couple of car amps that are superb are the Denon DCA, that is what I am using, Tru Technology, and DLS, fabulous amps. Have fun. Email anytine. richard.smith6@cox.net

It'll work fine. You can either run all your speakers from the Parasound or run your front 3 from the Parasound and your SS.5s from the Yamaha. I'd be inclined to run everything from the Parasound since it should be a big step up from the amp inside your receiver.

The 1000 watt rating for the amp is probably with a 4 ohm load on all channels.

80 quality watts going into each of your speakers is going to be loud, REAL loud. Just don't turn it up loud enough to hear audible distortion from your speakers and you'll be fine.

Thanks wuzzzer. Unfortunately, I hooked everything up and the the sound was constantly going in and out. I googled the problem and it looks like the fix is to leave the unit on all the time or get new relays (and take apart all of the boards to get them in). It's too bad, when the sound kicked in, it sounded pretty sweet.

Shoot. Hopefully you get everthing squared away. I had problems with RF-7s, a Harman/Kardon 730 receiver and a Rotel RB-980BX amp that were bought used. Fortunately all ended up being easy fixes but it is disheartening to buy some new gear only to have it not working correctly.