heritage la scala use in home theater w newer klipsch tractrix horn speakers or KLFs?

DCloud

Hi I am a new member and looking for some advice. I am running a H/K
ARV735 w/ KSF10.5 mains KSFsc5 center rs52 rears and 2 ksw12 subs in a
5.2 set up. I am going to be getting married soon and looking to
purchase a house as well so I am looking to up grade my mains before I
become poor. I was considering heritage getting a pair of la scalas
for my mains w AA crossovers but read some postings that said they
might sound hollow? I know a lot of people change the crosssovers and tweek the la scalas but there will be no funds avalible for that. I have no where to go check these out where I live
as only commercial junk is around at the major chains to listen to. I
was also considering klf 20s or 30s for mains as well. I listen to all
types of music mostly hard rock and alt rock but also some country and
occasional rap and loud. I won't be able to upgrade for a long time so
want something that will versatile and fits well w all types of music.
We watch alot of movies as well. The 10.5's are a bit bright on the
top end would the la scalas or klf series be better? Will the others speakers be better in the tweet and horn range at high volumes? I know the
la scalas don't have the low end grunt but running 2 subs I don't
foresee this being an issue. The room it is set up in is about 12X15 but will be larger soon. What do you guys think I should use for
mains? The receiver is rated at 85 watts per channel.
Any other suggestions on what would be a good choice? The price range I have to work with is 1000.00 w tax and shipping.

Hi I am a new member and looking for some advice. ...... I was considering heritage getting a pair of la scalas
for my mains w AA crossovers but read some postings that said they
might sound hollow? I know a lot of people change the crosssovers and tweek the la scalas but there will be no funds avalible for that. ........ I listen to all
types of music mostly hard rock and alt rock but also some country and
occasional rap and loud. ......
The price range I have to work with is 1000.00 w tax and shipping.

The Type AA crossovers were used in both the K-horn, La Scala and Belle for as long as any and maybe longer than any other crossover. It IS the classic Klipsch sound and does not sound "hollow". $1000 should be enough, but they may look a little rough; nothing you can't refinish or fix.

Crossovers are a funny thing. Mine were mis-matched, so I set about correcting that. Unless the speaker have been played regularly, and maybe even in spite it it, the capacitors in the crossovers deteriorateand change the sound. You need to expect that and be prepared to replace them. You can buy nice sounding capacitorsto replace the OEM ones for $12 to $16 per speaker. All you have to do is be able to solder. Use higher temp silver bearing solder (Radio Shack). We have developed several design here trying to address specific problems and improve sound. Almostall of them wor, but are not necessarily cost effective. You can spend $550 and more on crossovers that sound great, but only a little better than a Type AAs with good capacitors and inductors.

IF those La Scalas have square magnet K-77-M tweeters, you can disable or remove the KLiP tweeter protection safely. The older round magnet K-77 has a 2 watt continuous rating and should have the circuit intact. It sounds very nasty when it operates, but it saves tweeters.

There are other quite cheap that improve sound, too.