Looking for Jazz artist info

rplace

So any of you more enlightened types know of this cat and or his band members?

Jeremy Pelt Quintet
Jeremy Pelt (trumpet) •
JD Allen (tenor saxophone)• Danny Grissett (piano) •Dwayne Burno (bass) • Darrell Green (drums)

I'm going to head to NYC for my birthday next weekend and got reservations at a small joint that holds about 50 people. Pelt is playing and it happens to be his birthday too.[^] Should be a fun time. I just picked this gig because I know of the place and had a great time with Gary and Allen there a few years back. Was wondering what I could expect from him and if I should pick up a CD or two first?

Any and all info appreciated. Here is his web site http://www.peltjazz.com/home.html

Thanks, Rich

From looking at his web site that you included I see glowing reviews from DownBeat magazine and jazz critic Nat Hentoff. There is also a review that compares his latest album to Miles Smiles which is a seminal hard bop/free jazz album that was one of Miles Davis last non-electric albums. So based on his touring schedule and those reviews I would expect a modern translation of mid sixties Miles. I recall that Wynton Marsalis also played a similar style when I saw him in the early 80s. That being said, I have never heard of Jeremy Pelt, but I buy jazz recordings based on reviews from people I trust and I trust DownBeat and Nat Hentoff.

Rich

Looking over Pelt's bio I see he played on a Vincent Herring album. Vincent is the guy I saw in this same NYC club a while back and it was a great show. One wee till my b-day and the gig. I am getting pretty fired up about it and can't wait for my wife to experiance that small club with great live music.

Where is Allen on this? I figured he would know all of these guys inside and out.