Advice needed...Mac HT preamp vs C220

Speedmaster

I have a MX130. I haven't used or listened to a C220. The C220 is a stereo tube preamp. Its probably not a "fair" comparison. Tubes are valves and transistors are gates (switches). Consequently they will have certain sound qualities inherent to their device type.

That being said, I bought the MX130 because of its integrated design (tuner included) and support for five channel + sub + THX (if I should desire to incorporate this at a later date ~ probably will ~ just waiting for a good LED projector at reasonable prices). It also saves me rack space. I use it as my "everyday" control center in a stereo (with center channel) setup. The mono out is convenient for the center channel.

I have no grips about the sound quality or performance except that it seems to have developed some kind of "won't stay on" problem when first turned on. This problem is intermittent. Some days it works fine, others GRRRR.

IMO the "newer" solid state Mac stuff (say mid-late 90's to present) is very very good. I never liked the older MAC solid state stuff. Dark, opaque & dull is how I would describe them. The newer gear is much better (IMO).

If your priorities lean toward the need for 5 channel + THX + integrated AM/FM tuner + generally no-hassle of solid state then MX is the choice. If none of this is of concern then go for the C220. I doubt you will be disappointed with either.

For phono preamp I still use my old Audio Research SP6.

Thank you. I already own a Mx134 and initially used it for HT. I've since transitioned away from HT (sold off the center channel and surround) and have found myself listening to just pure stereo. I guess my dilemma is whether to keep the Mx134 or trade it for a C220. Is the C220 worth the extra $$$? Thank you.

Is the C220 worth the additional $$$?

I'm pretty sure the MX134 is more expensive than C220. A used MX134 is probably close to an even swap for a new C220. Personally I wouldn't necessarily trade the MX134 for the C220. They are different beasts. If you're listening to a lot of vinyl the C220 is probably a better match. If your primary source is CD and "ultimate" sound quality in stereo is the objective then you should probably just bypass the preamp/control center all together and connect the CD player right into the power amps.

As mentioned, I still have my old SP6 for use as a phono preamp. It does impart a more "musical" character to the source, even to the Yamaha tuners I used to have. It is not subtle. My wife even mentioned one time that "it" (the system) "seems to sound better tonight for some reason". The only thing different was that I was running the Yamaha T2 through the SP6 instead of the Crown DL2 control center I had at the time. The MX130/134 etc sound slightly better than the Crown in every department but I suspect the C220 will produce a similar result as the SP6 when compared to the MX series.

As far as "is it worth it?" that only you can decide. There is a lot of bias towards tube gear with Klipsch, myself included. However for everyday general listening, radio and such, I just use the always on solid state stuff. But thats also partly because my amplifiers of preference use tubes that have been out of production for a couple decades & are $$$$$ when you find them.