Haunted Subwoofer Cable

John K

Recently got a KSW12 and am happy with the addition to my modest system. While online looking at reviews and prices for subwoofers, I found a used IXOS (may be ISOX, I'm not at home now) subwoofer cable in a 9m length. Because I needed this length and read a few unflattering things about cheaped cables, I bought it.

When this cable is connected to either the line-in or LFE-in jack on the KSW12, the sub emits a humming sound. Through process of elimination, I found that my fancy used subwoofer cable causes this condition -- even when not plugged into any amplifier.

I checked for a short in the cable with an ohm meter and none. I also cut off the plugs at both ends and resoldered them back on. The cable is supposed to be directional, but switch ends, does not help.

Did I get taken? Is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

P.S. My 20-foot cheap Radio Shack cable is working just fine.

I tried to reach into to the audiophile

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. Good subwoofer choice.

You did what I would have done, and then some, to troubleshoot the problem. I think there might be somthing wrong with the CABLE itself, like a manufacturing flaw. More likely is that that specific cable is picking up interfearence and is feeding it to your sub.

Call the manufacturer or return it (don't mention the cut and reconnect, though!) and keep the RadioShack for now. You may want to get a SHEILDED subwoofer cable, I think Tributaries makes a good one.

Good luck!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Thank you both for quick responses and advice. I'll try to return the cable (or conduct electromagnetic field experiments with it). I'll likely get the AR subwoofer cable.

I recently purchased 1980 Heresys with the "rare" zebrawood finish and will visit the other applicable forums.

I purchased a KSW-15 about 6 months ago and went through the same thing you are. I wanted to position the sub close to the listening area and needed about 60 feet of cable. It was late Sunday afternoon and the only place I could find cables was Best Buy. I ended up with 4-15' AR interconnects (not specifically designed for subs) plugged into one another. Needless to say, the hum was so annoying I took the cables back and moved the sub back to the front of the room and bought a Monster 10' sub cable. No more hum. I have heard that quad shielded RG-6 is good for subs. Is this true.

Mike