Need help ID'ing a part to buy replacement

XanderF

Bought a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 off eBay (I know, smart, right? [:S] ) and they do not work. Connecting them up, I get nothing. No light, no electrical hum, nothing.

I'm hoping it's not a stack of problems, but a cursory examination of the outside of the amp identifies what might be an obvious issue.

Referencing this pictures, here, you'll note there is something IN the circular hole marked "fuse". Well, I don't have anything there. It's just a big hole. Looking into it, it appears to be a fairly straightforward socket...just empty. I think in the "refurb" process, someone removed the fuse and just forgot to put it back.

So I guess the question is two-fold:

• Is this external fuse critical enough that I would see these symptoms (literally NO effect of turning it on - no buzz, click, nothing, it's like a giant lead weight). I'm guessing, given it's externally-accessible, it IS that important, so this is 'yes', but confirmation would be nice.
  • If so...what part # do I need? I have read in a few places that Radio Shack sells something that would work as a replacement for $2 or so...but nobody mentions what part # is is. Which is a problem, as I obviously don't have an original to compare it to! The Klipsch documentation is...unhelpful.

Reading the back of the sub, the label under the fuse states:

T2A 250v.

So...2amp, 250v, 'slow blow' fuse, right? That's good, but...no dimensions! I find some parts at Lowe's that looked like they fit that spec - here - but the appropriate fuse just won't fit in the socket; too big. In any case, taking the fuse out of my GMX-A 2.1 set, it looks like most the size of the socket is from the HUGE plug module. Which I'm also lacking (I had a hairbrained idea of mounting a fuse and using some conductive strips to finish the circuit, but that clearly won't work given what I see, now).

In case the point is missed - that is something I'm also missing. The "plug" part that goes over the fuse to secure it into the amp. Wasn't shipped!

I've since contacted the seller, but I'm not sure he can do anything but accept a full return (which just seems like a silly waste of time and shipping cost to replace something so ridiculously trivial). Is there any way I can get these parts I'm missing?

Is this external fuse critical enough that I would see these symptoms (literally NO effect of turning it on - no buzz, click, nothing, it's like a giant lead weight). I'm guessing, given it's externally-accessible, it IS that important, so this is 'yes', but confirmation would be nice.

If that hole is empty, THAT is your problem (there may be more). Can't help on the part selection problem, I'm sure others can.

If you ask really nice.................. [;)] .................. I'll mail you the fuse and cap from mine. I had much bigger issues than that and my plate amp now is just sealing the hole it is in. Using a different amp with that sub.

Get me at:

tony.clinton then the thing that represents at cbre.com

• 2 weeks later...