help with settings on receiver, center channel weak, music or background drown voices

twisted1272

Ok, edited this post a few times trying to explain completely. I have finally come to the point i need help because cannot set speakers "correctly" I have used microphone to correctly set equal volume but center channel background sound too loud in movie or tv and voices are just not loud enough. Especially dvds on ps3 or regular dvd player, example on movie matrix music gets WAY too loud and even background sounds drown out voices. My speakers are Klipsch reference series, all same level reference (think these are correct names), rf-82 towers, rc-62 center, rs-10 surround. Even surround isnt as noticeable as i believe it should be. I have sony str-897 receiver with and not sure if receiver just isnt good enough for what i want. has these sound settings : Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, and DTS Neo6, along with the usual 5.1
formats dolby Digital and DTS, as well as Dolby Pro Logic IIspecs: I do not know what the he** settings is what best for ps3 games , blue ray, dvr, etc. Thank you for any advice.

The lack of voices sounds like the center channel is down too much. Try cutting the fronts about 6 to 10 db. Then run your receiver on "Dolby Digital" (i.e., whatever the native DVD audio track is putting out).

If you are running a game, then you'll likely find that the "-G" synthesized mode on your receiver will bring out the center channel if the game is only 2-channel audio.

Chris

Maybe I can help. (?)

I have an STR-DE898. LaScala Mains Heresy Center and RB-25 Surround. The best setup I have found for DVD is center +5. surronds +7 with the PLIIX Cinema setting. I have the DVD player set to Dolby Digital so that what ever is on the disc comes through. Optical hookup between the DVD player and the STR.

When I change to Multi-Stereo the balance is fine with the mains, center, surrounds. CDs are kick *ss! This tells me that the +5 on the center is just about right. For movies, there are some where the non-dialogue is mixed way too high. This isn't your setup, it's the guy who matered the DVD. When I've changed my speakers around, I've used Star Wars Episode I to see if things are set OK. I have to admit that my DVD player is NOT top shelf.

What I have noticed over the years is that with DVD and Dolby, they lean heavily on the center. There are some in my library that are mixed so center-focussed that it's irratating. Ya just got to live with it or readjust the center gain. THX is better but it's still up to the guy pushing the sliders. The newer movie "UP" has a section where there is a big band passage that is really great. It can really show off your setup.

Last but not least is the BASS/TREBLE equalizer setting on your STR. If you have the bass and treble set too high (over +3) you will be de-emphasizing the mids where the dialogue is. Play with the BASS/TREBLE starting at +/- 0db. I have no idea where your's is set right now so I can't comment on where you should go with these. I think that your issue is most likley here. It took me a while to find the correct setting. Try many sound sources and find the best compomise. Your speakers are not suspect. It's pobably the settings or the speaker placement. (Subs make life a whole lot better. [:)])

forgot to mention that i do have a sub, svs sb12-plus, which i am thoroughly pleased with. i thinki just need to get a new receiver for what i am wanting. plus a new receiver has all of the new hdmi conversions and stuff. but will be disapointed if not much better. but if someone else has had any luck with what i am asking it will be greatly appreciated. Oh, on the movies i was talking about with the music too loud is there a way to get a different movie so it will not have that?

OK. Sub. Check.

As far as a differnt movie.... I'm not sure wht you mean. The receiver you have should be quite fine. Try a different decoding. Maybe straight ProLogic or Neo6? I have no problems with music being too loud. Some movies push that a bit. ProLogig II (Movie/Cinema) seems to work for me. You could try Auto AFB. Then the receiver will set itself for the source encoding. Just a thought though.