false wall for bass boost

boa12

if u don't have the room layout to put the sub in a corner, is there some kinda portable

or temp wall or barrier u can put behind or to the side of a sub for bass reinforcement.

or is this way off bass (pun) as far as the reasoning behind corner loading of sub? thnks

My guess is that a portable surface, like a 4 x 8 of plywood is not going to do very much good in this situation.

First, it is not an appreciable fraction of a wavelength in the bass region, so it is not going to effect things.

Second, the pressure wave is just going to run around behind it. That is a non-technical explanation.

On the other hand, is there really no corner in the general area. Front, behind, to one side, a bit distant, might not make a big difference. If not, a wall floor intersection might not be so bad.

Please do experiment.

Gil

• Like 1

thanks gil, that makes sense. my trouble really is I don't have a free corner available.

need to get up & do that sub in the listening position test. others that have done this & end up w/ the sub in the middle of the room by a wall (mine is currently on the side wall except more forward toward the mains). mine sounds good where it is but I feel there's a better place as i put it there mainly because it's the only free space I have w/ the other components placed. so if i do that test most likely i wouldn't be able to put it in the optimal position anyway (hence the put a wall around it concept). i guess what i really need is an interior designer w/ an emphasis in sound smile.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!