Theater Configuration

shake777

Howdy Gentleman,

My new HT is going to be 23.5' X 15.5' bare walls before sheet rock is completed. The ceilings are 8' before finishing. I'm using a projector (make and model unknown) and a Denon 4810 with width and height channels.

I'm wondering if I should put the screen on the long or short wall. We are only using 4 permanant seats.

Thanks, Shake777

For width, the golden room size for most is 18- 24 feet. (At least for K horns LOL)

That said, anything will work, but.... you will get a bigger room feeling and really good separation, if it is the bigger size, especially with lower ceilings.

FYI., mine is 17 x 30 really 17 x 23 with (I have speakers hidden in the false walls) 17 being the width. I love it, do not get me wrong....

Some of this is what speakers are you using too?

I am also glad to see you are building it for your family with 4 seats and not 8- 16 LOL. I took a lot of peoples advice like your doing, because + 90% of the time it is just you .. just you and the wife and kids...(assuming you have 2 or less) So your building it for yourself... Good for you... any extra kids can watch a movie on the floor...LOL!

Keep asking questions we will chime in....

Things like screen size... wire placement for 5.1 - 7.1 sub placement...room colors...carpet...all these things will come into play..

Thanks for your comments.

I will be using a 9.1 set up with RF7, RF82 for width, RF35 for height, RB81, RC64, and RT12d.

I'd like to use a screen about 100".

We'll use some shade of dark color for the walls and I'm thinking the sub will be in front right corner because the RT12d is designed as a corner unit. Its a potent sub and I think it will fill the room easily. We'll be using a good grade of wall to wall carpeting.

Thanks again, any additional help is much appreciated.

It's vaguely similar to my room's dimensions. Conventional HT thinking would of course say the short wall is where the screen should go. That way you have the option to add viewing spaces behind the primary row of seating if necessary. If you do it on the long wall then you're reliant on off-axis viewing for any additional seating should you require it.

On the other hand, with only 4 seats, that's a lot of empty space behind them. Room for a poker table or air hockey maybe? ;-)

I would use the short wall for the screen. The room should be approx 14 1/2+ feet wide after the sheet rock, so should be good. Run some plastic pvc pipe for the wire runs. You will think you have thought of everything and then its all set up and sheet rock is done and you now need to run 3 more cables. Best of luck, its going to be an exciting project for you I'm sure. If one of the long walls runs against an open area of the basement set up some inset shelves that back into the unfinished area for your equipment rack. I found it to be very conveint in my case.