DAC Question

JohnWB

Still a newbie with all this so bear with me. Does a DAC machine really give you that much better sound? Can you hook it up to a CD player that already does the conversion? Will it make a so so CD player that much better? And, are there DACS out there with multiple inputs for different sources? I see the word CD transport out there as well. I'm guessing that this is just equipment to read the disc and not convert the digital to an audio signal. And why soo much money for just a transport? Sorry for all the questions. I'm kind of getting hooked on this audiophile stuff and am trying to learn all i can.

Thanks,

Does a DAC machine really give you that much better sound?

I can't hear much difference nowadays with newer DACS.

Can you hook it up to a CD player that already does the conversion?

Nope.

Will it make a so so CD player that much better?

I'm assuming here you are talking about using the digital outs of the CD player - this ia actually the preferred configuration of CD Player, IMHO - and bits are just bits - not subject to noise or dynamic range issues.

And, are there DACS out there with multiple inputs for different sources?

I'll yield to those that have invested in external DACS more recently.

And why soo much money for just a transport?

You've got me - save your money and buy some Klipsch Jubs - where the sonic difference has much greater bang-for-buck. One way to look at this is where you can invest in your home for the greatest payoff - most people think that swimming pools are good investments - they're the worst investment you can make, however, extra bathrooms in the house are a lot more valuable. Think of DAC like swimming pools (in terms of resale value) and Jubs like extra bathrooms... [8-|]

Chris