RF-82 and rx-v2600 sound is to bright when listening to music.

BigVix

Hello

I recently purchased a pair of RF-82 speakers to replace a pair of Bose 301s.

Like the Bose were, the RF-82s are connected to a Yamaha rx-v2600 receiver.

I am very happy with the performance of the new speakers when watching movies, but when I listen to CD music I'm finding that the sound is to bright, to the point where it gives me a headache very quickly.

When I listen to music I use the receiver's "Pure Direct" setting and the volume is not very loud.

I read in many a forum that the RF-82 speakers and Yamaha are on the bright side of sound reproduction, but has anyone gone through a similar problem and found a work around?

I am nearing my receivers refresh cycle and am considering a Denon AVR-4310CI as it is supposed to have a warmer sound reproduction and might ofset the brightness of the RF-82s, but this would be a last resort as I'm also waiting for the rest of the rx-v range updates to be released.

Looking forward to any coments.

Kind regards

Witek.

After I lost my Boothroyd Stuart Meridian G57 power amp in a lightning strike on my house in France, I could not get the replacements to sound right (Musical Fidelity 550W RMS Tower Monoblocs). The G57 has very punchy bass but quite a gentle top end. The new Musical Fidelities sounded much too thin and bright. I am still using a Meridian G02 pre-amp and RF83 speakers plus a JBL E550 sub. My house is 1970's avant garde, built by a pupil of Le Corbusier as his own retirement home and is all glass, stone and steel with curved walls, resulting in "interesting" acoustics. In the end, I have put an LA Audio, studio grade, balanced XLR, 31 band analogue equaliser between the pre amp and monoblocs. I then hired a sound meter and bought a CD of tones. I spent a day going round the main room in the house measuring tones and adjusting the bands. I can switch the equalisation in and out on the LA unit to check progress. I am now delighted with the sound. When you now switch the equalisation out, the sound is very flat, shrill and dull. The only downside is that the equaliser produces a tiny amount of hiss, which younger folks can hear, if they are close to the speakers but at my age, it is not perceptible.

Wilson