KHorns

Rolly

Guys I have a set of KHorns that I want to get a good AMP for can anyone suggest what type would be the best and how and where I can get it, and how much, I live in Australia and want to get one out of the States so it has to be 240 volts 50 hurtz Cheers ME

Hi Rolly,

I have KHorns and live in Broken Hill NSW. I recomend Cary Valve amps. Just bought a Cary 211 and own their 5watt Xciter amp/DAC unit which is just brilliant. I would recomend a store in Melbourne called Audiophile or click on http://www.audiophile.com.au/ and go to the Cary section. Khorns were made for valve amps. Shanling make a nice little integrated amp take a look at http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/60-Shanling-STP80/STP-80.html also check outhttp://www.aslanacoustics.com.au/Leben%20Details.htm otherwise you will have to hunt around the web for other manufacturers who sell good valve gear. If possible have a listen to a SET amp, went with push pull for the better bass responce but SET amps have to be heard to be believed.

I've heard my KHorns with both PP and SET and prefer SET. It really depends on what you're looking for - How loud you play, what types of music, how big your room is - It all depends.

I agree with Brockybear - If you have the luxury of a dealer close by where you can listen to SET you should.

Hi and welcome,

I am in Perth and have used a lot of amps tube, ss and this one - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Altmann-BYOB-amplifier_W0QQitemZ360213720372QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers?hash=item53de692d34. It uses a battery designed by Altmann. They are usually around $1500 to land in Oz but I am sure you can do a little better with even the current asking bid of $995, You will simply be amazed at the quality and speed with whatever music you play. You probably know that Khorns don't need power so whatever you buy it has to be clean so I would stick with low power quality A class if possible. The other amps that really go well are the smaller Nelson Pass amps, if you can get 'em.

Quality SS amps have always provided me with superior detail and imagery over tube, but that's just me.

Good luck

p.s when you start to upgrade your horns with a tractrix mid you will really 'hear the music'

Sounds cheesy but if you folks ever want to lose the KHorns I'll take them off your hands. Yeah, I know it says Qatar as my location but home base is Oz.

As for which amp - anything you want. Make it decent quality, i.e. low noise floor and low distortion. Power won't be an issue. Tubes and Heritage are supposed to be a good bet but I've got an all Heritage HT run from a NAD T785. Can't say I've been wanting tubes to replace it.

I had a NAD 3020 and it was brilliant! it was a budget amp that blew a lot of high end amps out of the water. I Upgraded to a ME 25 Preamp and ME 550 power amp, which at the time were the most accurate amplifiers made in Australia. I found over time and with higher listening levels the sound got a little harsh with my KHorns. I bought a two mono SET valve amps custom made in Australia by David Whitby called the Mudlark A205's. From there I have bought Cary Valve amps and preamplifier and never looked back. I think its the freedom from negative feedback and the softer sound of the valve amp that has made me realize the investment in the KHorns was the best $16,000 I have ever spent. I just wish U.S. gear was cheaper in OZ