In wall Surround speaker selection

djlowman

My current 5.1 system is consists of:

RC-52 (center)

RB-61 (Front)

RWd-10 (Sub)

R-1800-C (Surrounds)

I am prewired for 7.1 and have a pair of RS-10 which were intended to be used as my surrounds with the 1800-Cs as rears, but my wife nixed that idea.

I am now in the market for some in-wall speakers to use as my surrounds and trying to pick between the R-5650-S, R-5650-W or R3650-W.

I am also curious how to go about installing them post-construction as the 650-W kit apears to be for pre-construction and none of the speakers apear to have wings from what I can tell.

Finally I'm also considering upgrading my reciever to have HDMI I/O capabilities and on the top of my list is the Onkyo-NR807 which would also enable me to use my RS-10s as front height speakers in a 9.1/ Pro-Logic IIz configuration.

Any help, comments and insights you provide will be appreciated.

i had the 3650's installed in-wall as my mains for a few months. they perform, but are far from impressive. the whole speaker and mounting system is integrated and secured by using a pivoted clamp tension against the dry-wall. position in the hole and turn two screws from the front and you are good to go.

i upgraded to RF-5's for my mains and rather than do away with them (no room to install in-wall as rears) i bastardized my kg 3.5's to serve as cabinets. they're great as surrounds :) ..i've not heard the 5650 series, so can't really comment.

definitely go with hdmi ...it's future as a stable and long lasting tech is still up in the air, but for now it allows you the latest and greatest of what is current, while also minimizing your cable clutter.