Cornwall bass vs Khorn/ Double bass bins/Jubilee

bonsairich

Wanted to ask for opinions on the bass differences between a Cornwall with Crites woofer and a Khorn. Also any of those members

who have done a double bass bin since I do not have the "corners" for a Khorn unless I built the corners. Is the difference between a Khorn

and a Cornwall bass wise subtle or drastic. I already have Greg Roberts wooden Trac horn and Community M-200 for mids and

a Beyma 385 for highs so I have pretty much the upgrade that is going around the country via Greg, just want personal opinions on the bass.

Anyone with Jubs/ Jamborees would like those as well. ALL comparisons and opinions welcome as I am looking towards a new project.Thanks

I've been using dual 2226H drivers in enclosure below (your double bass bin?). Each driver is in it's own 3.75 ft^3 net enclosure tuned to 45Hz. This allows the unit to be used either as a mid-bass for one channel or as a L+R mid bass for a setup that does not need the extra output. Each driver is in series with a toroidal choke that attenuates above 250Hz 6dB/oct. The enclosure is 1.5" thk, all sides (MDF external / particle board internal) with birch plywood bracing. Weight of the unit, with drivers is about 220#. The veneer is flat cut American Walnut. It has not been oiled yet. I've also used the McCauley 15" carbon fiber drivers in this enclosure but prefer the JBLs. I recently sold a pair of these with Maple veneer using the McCauley drivers. I try to build them to be consistent visually with the JBLs of the 70s.

I have a number of plots (impedance, amplitude response, phase, group delay) for both the JBLs and McCauleys. I will share when have more time.

Thanks John for that info and pics. I'm looking towards a larger cab (+6cu ft) with slightly lower response. I built the Cornwall I have and would consider building another possibly a few inches taller to accomodate the 2 woofers. Looking for feedback on 12 vs 15 woofers on the double bass bin and what to expect COMPARED to a Cornwall bass.

Very interesting on the 1.5" thick enclosure!

The 2226H output is quite extreme and the unbraced sectiions of the enclosure walls must be inert to take advantage of this capability. A single 2226H is rated at 97dB/m swept between 100 and 500Hz with 1W. I'm measuring closer to 100dB/W/m (100Hz at 2.8V) which is comparable to the Klipschorn bass unit.