optical preamp for promedia 4.1

Gliderguy3

I currently have a set of promedia 4.1 speakers, My new computer is a Sony Vaio L116 all-in-one with only a headphone out and an optical sound output. I need to find a simple preamp that can accept and decode the optical signal to discreet preamp level outputs to run the Promedias. I suppose I could buy a basic stereo receiver to do this task, but am looking to keep the solution as elegant and small as possible. A couple of pluses would be a way to power a front center speaker and a set of headphones. Again, a full a/v receiver would definitely work, but I am not familiar with any really tiny ones. My computer desk has a place a little wider than 11 inches that I could put a small component. The height and depth are not particularly restricted, it was where you would put the normal tower CPU. Probably at least 18 inches available for both height and depth. Any thoughts? Does Klipsch or anyone else make an optical preamp adapter such as this?

If I go to a full A/V receiver I would be tempted to get a set of Quintets and set up my promedias somewhere as an Ipod listening station, although it may take a while to set aside THOSE funds...

I know the Promedia's were designed for close range listening, would I find the Quintet's to have any undesirable characteristics when used as a computer system?

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, a DAC would do the job, but you'd be spending a whole lot of money for a device with one limited use. I ran into the same problem with my laptop and I bought one of these:

Creative XFi USB surround module

xfiq.jpg

74727194.jpg

The benefit is that you get your Center channel and you can use either the headphone jack or the Left/Right RCA plugs with a cheap adapter to run the output to your 4.1s. If you use the RCA plugs with an adapter, then you get your extra headphone jack right on your desk like you want.

You can pick one up at any Best Buy or online for $45-60. It is well worth the expense, and you get an extra TOSlink optical out as well. The downside is that your sound can get interrupted if you use the module with a USB hub. It almost requires that you plug it directly into a USB port on the computer itself.

If you were looking to power a full set of 5.1 speakers I'd strongly suggest you go with a full size home receiver, but since you aren't this is a realtively inexpensive, elegant solution to your problem.