Swamping Forte impedance peak

Paul Hale

I would like to build a new crossover into the hollow base of my Forte speakers. I have used swamping resistors in my LaScalas and Heresys (with the appropriately larger mid cap) and liked the result a lot. If I use a 10 ohm swamper in the Forte network, what would the experienced crossover builders have to recommend for a midrange cap value? I'm figuring 24uF for C in my drawing below (I hope I get the attachment to work).

I'd like to keep it a simple network like the original. I'll use a new Crites 3636 autotransformer to be able to adjust the mid and tweeter a db or two. I didn't draw it in, but II'll probably try putting the tweeter through the 3636, also. And I'll use a 3rd order Butterworth for the tweeter.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Paul

post-38334-1381952706447_thumb.jpg

Yes, I read that thread a couple of times. Thanks for all of your work, on the Forte, and also on the Heritage line as well. Great to see some of those graphs. Most of us don't have test equipment like yours. Too bad there was so little to say about the sound. Anyone out there build these networks?

I'm after a simpler crossover. Something like John Albright's Heresy Type E Modified crossover for the Forte with a 3rd order tweeter filter. He posted a schematic of it here somewhere. I put that in my Hereys with a 3rd order Butterworth for the tweeter as above, and I really like it. Really transformed the speakers into something balanced and rich with my little tube amps. Many thanks, John! And while I'm thanking people, I'd like to extend thanks to DeanG, BEC, djk, and so many others who have posted great info and projects on this site. My first post but I've been reading, I've learned a lot, and learned that there's so much more to learn on just this site, if I can just find it....

An ALK Jr Forte network would be nice to see, too!

I guess I'll report back in a couple of months (pretty busy here) after I put together a new crossover in the base where I can adjust the autotransformer taps, midrange polarity, and the mid cap.

-Paul