Upgrade from Klipsch S4

rich tarno

I just bought an S4, and now I'm wondering if I should have bought the X5, or even the X10. The sound of the S4 is pretty good, but its base may be a little muddy (for my taste), and its highs could be a little more clear/crisp. I like base but not the really booming type, I prefer it to be a little more tight. I could live with the S4, but if one of the others (especially the X5 which I can buy for $150), would suit me better, I would return the S4 and buy the other. From what I've read, the X5 seems to fit my taste better, however, there are 2 things I'm concerned about.

#1: is its the base strong enough (I want to hear the "thump" of a base drum) -- not enough base would be worse than base that is a little muddy.Can anyonr comment on the base of the X5. I listen to various types of rock.

#2 is VERY important: I will be listening to mp3's (bit rate of most of my songs are 128, 160 and 192 kbs). I have read that some consider the X5s not only overkill for the music I'm listening to, but maybe even a poor match. Supposedly, the X5 will emphasize the imperfections of the mp3s recorded at low bit rates. If this is true than I might be better off sticking with the S4. I would like to hear from a X5 (or X10) owner that has listened to mp3s recorded at low bit rates to confim or deny this.

I like base but not the really booming type

Then the Image X5 and more so the Image X10 are for you. Being armature in design (see Professor Thump's blog or older threads in here - first click on options and then select option to show all posts as it defaults to most recent two months) the bass should be a lot tighter and faster. Or even Custom 2 or Custom 3 if you can find them. I prefere the sound of the X5 and Custom 3 to the X10 as they are clearer in the highs or most likely more midrange? In any case sound better to me.

#1: is its the base strong enough (I want to hear the "thump" of a base drum) -- not enough base would be worse than base that is a little muddy.Can anyonr comment on the base of the X5. I listen to various types of rock.

I've only tried the Image X5 a couple of times for a few minutes. The first time after owning the Custom 2 for several months switching back and forth between the Image X5 and Image X10 (fighting our daughter for Image X10 time as the X5 she claimed were too big for her tiny ear canals) and my own Custom 2. I didn't notice that the bass was at all lacking. The second after also owning the Image X10 for a few months when I tried the Image X5 and prototype (or early production) S4 and S2 but was very quick but thought the S4 and S2 sounded remarkable considering their much more modest prices. Did not really listen long enough to form a real strong opinion but think I remember thinking the X5 was smoother sounding.

#2 is VERY important: I will be listening to mp3's (bit rate of most of my songs are 128, 160 and 192 kbs). I have read that some consider the X5s not only overkill for the music I'm listening to, but maybe even a poor match. Supposedly, the X5 will emphasize the imperfections of the mp3s recorded at low bit rates. If this is true than I might be better off sticking with the S4. I would like to hear from a X5 (or X10) owner that has listened to mp3s recorded at low bit rates to confim or deny this.

With the Custom 2 I could hear things I'd not heard before. Mostly noise in my mp3 player - it generates considerably more hissiness when the battery is getting low. I wouldn't call the Image X5 overkill as your music will be reproduced MUCH better but yes that also means any imperfections will be produced MUCH better as well. In that respect the S4 are probably more forgiving.

Early on with the Custom 2 I tested one song at different bit rates using James Taylor's "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from At Christmas

Let's see bit rates were 32K, 48K, 64K, 128K, 256K, 320K and using the 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100% settings in Creative Labs MediaSource Organizer

I'm not sure I could tell a difference between 128 and higher but thought I could at 64K and somewhere below there it didn't even sound like James Taylor. I originallhy used Creative's 60% but later switched to 100% which is still pretty compressed but larger than the 60%.

It really depends I suppose on how critical a listener you are (I would not call myself a critical listener). But I decided 128K is minimum and would be more comfortable with higher bit rates just in case. I think Creative's 60% typically claimed much higher bit rate than 128K, even higher at 100%.

In any case, if you're buying mp3 files I would recommend buying them at the highest bit rate available or maybe Apple's lossless compression if you have an iPod.

Guitar Center stores at one time I believe were sent kits where one could try different models and ear gels I believe so it might be worth checking if there are any in your area. It might also be worth checking any other stores that carry the Image X10 and X5 but not sure any really have demo models. Or just come to the Klipsch Pilgrimage in Indianapolis in June and I'm sure Professor Thump will make a demo available of the varios models.

Hopefully P Thump will chime in.

blsamuel: Thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthy reply. I appreciate your views on the situation. I thought that the X5 would have suited me better than the S4, but I wanted some reassurance from someone knowledgeable. I bought the S4 because it was the only model that Best Buy carried, and I wanted to test out a Klipsch. It was worth the $80 that I spent, but not perfect, for me.

I have read other questions/comments on the forum and am concerned about the "stress relief" problem of the X5 and X10. Is this problem as serious as it sounds? Does the S4 also have this problem? Although I might prefer the sound of the X5, I might keep the S4 if it is immune.

I have read other questions/comments on the forum and am concerned about the "stress relief" problem of the X5 and X10. Is this problem as serious as it sounds? Does the S4 also have this problem? Although I might prefer the sound of the X5, I might keep the S4 if it is immune.

I don't think that's as big a problem on the X5 as the X10 but the X5 is newer so may be more more such issues coming. I'm not sure but I think the "stress relief" problem of the X10 is only a small percentage but that said, my X10's have developed the problem [:'(] back in November? or maybe October? After getting them the previous December. I think newer X10s use a different material so that problem has hopefully been corrected. Can't remember if anything's been said about the material in the X5's. I used my Custom 2 when they first became available until I got the X10s over a year later and the Custom 2 are pretty much mint condition.

I don't believe anyone's posted here about the S4 having that problem but they are newer and it's possible they use the newer material that I think has been used in the newer X10s.

I wouldn't worry too much about that ... as long as you buy them from an authrorized dealer or reseller the Klipsch warranty is good for 2 years. Be sure to hang onto receipts and warranty information.

I think Audio Advisor was selling the X5's on Amazon for $150 but that was supposed to only be for 1 day and was yesterday or the day before.

I have continued to listen to the S4's, and they're growing on me. Maybe its the tweeking with the player's equilizer (a Cowon D2 and a noise isolating Sony NWZ), the break-in period of the phones, or a combination of both. Whatever, I'm now seriously considering keeping the S4's. It's a matter of, I know what I have now vs. I haven't listened to the X5 and I'm not sure whether the upgrade is worth it. I checked my Amazon cart and the X5's are still available for $150, so if I change my mind I guess I can still get that deal --- but right now I don't see that happening --- even though, in the back of my mind, I'm still thinking that the X5's may be the elusive perfect headphone that I'm looking for. Oh well, unless I get some persuasive arguments to the contrary, that's where I stand.

I'm still thinking that the X5's may be the elusive perfect headphone that I'm looking for.

They're my favorite of the Klipsch phones.... of course I've only tried them for a few minutes a couple of times... but would trade my X10's for X5's in a heartbeat except the X5's are too big for our youngest daughter's ear canals.

I think Professor Thump has even posted he likes the sound of the X5's over the X10's though the Custom 3's are his favorites which I've tried and they are amazing but even much less time than my minimal time with the X5's. I bring this up as Professor Thump loves bass. And knows how to create it in year ear or in an arena or at least a good sized space as he used to own a regional sound reinforcement company in a past life.

In the hi fi world the X5 would probably be a big step up from the S4 but it's also possible you may like the S4 better. We all hear different. So if you've got $150 you don't need it might be worth the risk though in theory you could return them. [

Oh well, unless I get some persuasive arguments to the contrary, that's where I stand.

I know the feeling... be much better if you could try them first.... I was pleased with how good the S4's sounded with very brief audition [:)] but it was very brief. Though I also very briefly hit the X5's and the smile on my face was a lot bigger. [:D]

All weekend its been eating at me, until finally my willpower disappeared. I bought the X5 from Amazon, tonight (Sunday) --- price was still $150 with free shipping. I'm still not sure whether I'll return, or keep the S4. I'll decide after receiving, and listening to the X5.

All weekend its been eating at me, until finally my willpower disappeared. I bought the X5 from Amazon, tonight (Sunday) --- price was still $150 with free shipping. I'm still not sure whether I'll return, or keep the S4. I'll decide after receiving, and listening to the X5.

Both? I'm betting the X5 will stomp the S4 in a lot of ways. Not sure about the bass other than it will be tighter with the X5 but maybe not as much? I hope the X5 is what you're after. Especially as I've been working so hard on talking you into getting them.

Hey Amy, P Thump, do I get a commission?

Yeah, you were a factor in my decision, but not the only one. I scoured the net and read many owner reviews, forum comments, and expert reviews. I tried to consider everything that I've read (of course this probably can't replace actually prevewing them, but this wasn't possible for me). Using all of this, I came to my final decision. BTW, although I didn't mention anything about it, the comfort factor was also important in my buying decision.

BTW, although I didn't mention anything about it, the comfort factor was also important in my buying decision.

The Image S4 seemed lighter and therefore more comfortable than I expected when I tried them but I can't imagine they're lighter than the X5.

Not by much. 11.9 grams for the S4 and 11.3 grams for the X5 S4~X5 Aluminum (X5) does weigh more than plastic. In any case the X5 are a lot smaller.

Let us know what you think.