Strain relief split on X10's in the UK

arf005

Hello,

My first post after browsing this forum looking into similar issues with the X10's.....

I purchased mine in July 2008 from amazon.co.uk for £175 (I see they now sell them for £230) and they were replacing a pair of Custom 1's - which I couldn't get comfortable with (I have a slightly closed off entry into my left ear canal) and WoW - what comfort and what a sound.

I have been more than happy with them, and they still bring a smile to my face whenever I pop them in and listen to some tunes!

But, over the past few months the strain relief started to split, the left bud has slipt almost completely and the right looks as though it will do the same.....

See pics below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am really dissapointed, especially due to the expense, and this is not the sort of quality I would have expected from Klipsch......

Can Professor Thump or anyone else recommend a suitable repair - I am obviously outwith the warranty period, and would be reluctant to send them off due to the time it took for user name "Hammy" (see thread here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/128505.aspx) to recieve his replacement!

Can anyone please help....???

Cheers,

Ali

Thankfully, the split strain relief wont affect sound quality...but it does increase the chances of the wire breaking off in the future. Too bad the X10s dont have user replacable wires.

Ive found that out all off the different types of glue Ive tried...none seem to bond to rubber very well. I havent tried rubber cement though...so maybe that would work better? Another thing to try is to take a piece of wire/cable with a flexible rubber jacket that is roughly the same inner diameter as the X10s, then use a set of pliers and stretch the wire jacket over the X10. Or you could try heatshrink tubing, which would probably be easier. Or better yet, rubber cement + heatshrink tubing.

Hi Ali,

I think the delay in getting my replacements was due to waiting for the new improved version.

You could try checking that they have some in stock before sending yours off, bear in mind they go to Ireland and that cost me £20 via courier.

Recorded delivery may be cheaper but I wanted a quicker turn around - ironic or what?

I would get them replaced if I was you as they are still under warranty. Whether the new version fixes the problem is not clear to me as the strain reliefs appear very thin at the ends, once the split starts that is it.

I have a pair of old Philips earphones with strain reliefs. The plastic they use is a lot more rigid and I think standing on them would not cause a problem. That said they are not even close to the sound generate by the X10s.

Good luck

Hammy

• 1 month later...

I completely understand how you feel. The same exact thing happened to me last month and I don't know what to do. I am highly disappointed considering I paid a lot of money for these x10 headphones. I bought them about 3-4 months ago in Seoul, South Korea at a headphone shop. They're not picking up the phone and Klipsch customer took forever to answer my emails and as a result weren't able to give me any assistance. I'm very frustrated because I don't know what to do! Is there nothing that Klipsch can do for me in my situation?? I can't believe they're splitting apart when I barely used them. So disappointing.

Eunyoung.