Upgrading and connecting my HT

Dr. Jim Mixon

Thanks, guys, for all the input on my HT "upgrade" question. They're not here yet, but I ordered a Marantz SR 5004, Klipsch RC 62 centre speaker, and a Klipsch RW 10 d subwoofer. I have Khorns for fronts and Heresyies for rear surround. I wanna get my satellite receiver, DVD recorder-VCR combo, Blu-ray player, CD player all connected and I need some help I think. The satellite and DVD/VCR combo units don't have much in the way of inputs/outputs so I need to maximize what I've got. I thought: there is no HDMI in on the DVD/VCR recorder so I run either component or S-video out of the sat. receiver in to the DVD/VCR recorder with the L and R audio cables. I thought HDMI out from the DVD/VCR recorder to one of the HDMI "ins" on the Marantz. There is only one HDMI out on the Marantz so I figure it is earmarked for the HDMI input on the HDTV. For just "non-serious" watching of the news etc.,do I need another ouput from the DVD/VCR recorder directly to my HDTV or not? Is there also any reason to run an output from the sat. receiver to the Marantz as well as to the DVD/VCR recorder? I use the Blu-ray for playback only so I figure HDMI out of the Blu-ray to another one of the HDMI ins on the Marantz will be fine with this. Even "I" know what to do with the CD player!! Thanks in advance for any advice on my connections. I'm not all that savvy with this stuff so when all my stuff comes in, I want as little grief as possible connecting and getting to the "enjoyment" part!

I have to admit, I seriously think you'll regret the RC-62 as a center speaker. It will be a gigantic bottleneck to your amazingly dynamic Khorns. Also, the RW-10d subwoofer will have a very, very difficult time keeping up with the output your Khorns are capable of.

As far as connecting your components, hook each component directly to your Marantz and then run a single HDMI cable from your receiver to your TV. Each video device connected to the Marantz will be converted to HDMI. It will by far be the easiest way to connect everything and will use the least amount of wires.