Newbie to Tubes Looking for a Good Match for RF7

shake777

Guest davidness

I use a pair of stock RF-7's. I recently bought my first (and only) tube amp, a Bob Latino 'factory built' VTA-120 (updated Dynaco ST-70 design, the most popular tube amp of all time). My VTA-120 has all of the factory upgrades. I currently run the following in the tube spots: (1) Weber solid state rectifier, (4) Gold Lion KT-88 (reissue), (2) Telefunkin ECC801A (generally considered the very best 12at7 type, (1) RCA NOS 'Black Plate' 12at7 (very nice!).

(The fancy tubes are only slightly better than the Valve Art KT-88 and Mullard CV4024 tubes. I found that all of the 'premium' tubes that I bought ended up sounding about the same, at least to my ears. For the money, I'd go with the Gold Lions KT-88 and Mullard CV4024's).

With this amp, my RF-7's instantly delivered substantially more PUNCH than they ever had before with my Yamaha RX-Z7 amp (140W x 7). It was a substantially better experience, with the delivery of improved bass the biggest surprise.

YMMV.

You should be able to pick up this amp new & with tubes for around $1200 or so.

As a test I would buy the two Scott 99 mono amps that are on the "garage sale " and go throught the leaning experience. I am glad I had a couple of vintage tube amps before geting my BB and VRD setup.

If you do not like them I would buy them in 2 months when I get my bonus.

It has been a while since I heard Mike Whell's RF-7 with VRDs and still remember it as one of the top 10 speaker / amp synergies I have heard.