Promedia 2.1 sound quality issues - lacks midrange

just4today

I just bought a used system. I am not at all impressed. There is no midrange to speak of. I can not hear vocals, or dialogue during movies. I am using Realtek intergrated sound and have tried adjusting properties within it`s limited menu. I have it set as default for now and sound is all high and low. Those sounds are awesome but I can`t hear anything inbetween. One thing for sure, there is way too much bass. I have moved it to the floor now and have it set at 10-15% on the pod and it is still overpowering the sat`s to the point I can hardly hear anything else. The satellites are not without their problems. I can barely hear any dialogue in clips or trailers I have watched. Muffled sound is the best I can describe it. Also, if I do increase the volume, the highs go up alot but not the mids. Am I missing something here? I read these are the best available. How and with what do you tune these?
Thanks

I bought the HK`s at the flea market for like $5. I`m just saying at least I could hear dialogue with them. I should not even be considering putting them back in use at this point. And that is the point exactly. Why is the 2.1 unable to do dialogue? I said earlier the speakers sound muffled. I listened again this morning and that is a true best description.

Thanks for all insight and experience

It might just be that particular set of PM 2.1's, I have onwed a few sets of them and never had a problem with Tone Response, the frequency range on them is very wide and the built in crossovers do a great jobat sending the best frequencys to the correct drivers at the correct levels. now wit that being said, for the $150 brand new price tag for a set of self powered speakers, I don't think you will beat their abilites in that price range anywhere else.

If I remove a satellite speaker grill all I hear is the tweeter. I have turned up the volume, cover the tweeter with my hand and can not hear any sound from the midrange driver, I lightly touch this driver and can not feel any vibration. I have opened up the speaker and test mid driver with multimeter, seems to be receiving signal as it showed a couple volts AC. It is just not producing any sound, at least not enough to be noticeable.

If someone could please remove their grill, cover tweeter and see if the mid is in fact audible. Thank You.

Well, I opened up both speakers. Everything is connected, I do not see any damage. I did notice a cap and coil in there for crossover. This makes me wander how they would sound on a Home receiver, for testing purposes only. This could be bad drivers? If it is within the amp, then must be in the crossover network? Wow, this is getting deep. I thought I got a great deal on these and now I see why. I really want to fix this midrange issue now more than ever. So this system can become the awesome deal it was supposed to be. kind of like - who is laughing now.

Thanks everyone

Immediately after my last post I connected these to a Receiver. Nothing! The mid drivers do not work. Is this the actual speaker or the cap? I`ve replaced caps in other things before, but they were leaking and obviously bad. I`m going to break down the speakers again and keep searching for issue.

Hook the driver itself up directly and see if it plays. (unhook it from the circuitry first, lol) but go ahead and touch the speaker wires directly to the terminals on the speaker drivers and see what happens, i they don't play then you know they are bad. in which case a very easy fix by replaceing the drivers.

The end.

It is the drivers. How did the previous owner manage to burn up both? Regardless, I now know what the problem is and will begin looking for replacements. I have lots of options here. I could replace satellites, klipsch mid drivers, or find suitable aftermarket replacements. Originally I said lacks midrange - I guess so. The moment that I had a known good driver connected, WOW! I cant wait to hear this system for all it`s worth.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Sure has been an interesting day for my computer speakers. I originally just wanted to upgrade. I spent $30 on the first set which was complete. However, as we know will need new middrivers. I`m looking around for some deal on ebay this afternoon and found a much better package. It cost me $25 and 45 minute drive, but I have it all here now. I just went and picked up yet another complete set. It really seems like I was supposed to have this system. Ever have those kind of moments? Anyway, the problem with this particular system is the din cable. One of the pins broke off into the connector on the amp. So, I switched satellites and control pod. I simply am amazed as to how good all this sounds. And I have a complete system in a box, needs mids and din cable repaired. I can`t wait to get back to listening to my new speakers. Klipsch 2.1 for the win. The whole system is so rich, clear, and yet powerful with it`s strong bottom end. I`m sure glad I stuck with it. Someday of course I hope to piece together a decent setup for a home theater. For now at least I will be happy with all media on my PC and know the quality to expect from Klipsch. Well worth the money and time spent. Alot to say here tonight, thanks for everything guys and I will stay in touch about the replacement mids and din cable.

Thanks

You could have returned the messed up 2.1s you know.

And I'm surprised you didn't notice the mids weren't playing right away. A speaker sounds really weird witha hole between 120hz and 2,200hz.The entire fundamental frequencies of the human voice lie in that range (100 - 900hz) and a good chunk of the harmonics (900 - 8,000hz).