familiar sounding title "Realistic Reproduction Made Possible By Exponential Coupler Of Small Dimensions"

freddyi

I'm sure PWK knew about them; they were very popular in the '50s. Even I had one. They were very clean, and gave the JBL c34 horn enclosure a run for its money. The Karlsons sounded very "horny" and clean, but had a peak at 90 or 100 Hz, and were quite attenuated below 80 Hz. Even so, they made the AR-1 -- the first "Acoustic Suspension" speaker that I'm aware of, sound very floppy and muddy. THe AR's "loose bass" was technicaly much flatter& deeper, but if you walked from the Karlson room at a Hi Fi fair to an AR room, you discovered that the Karlson sounded much mote like a real orchestra in the bass. Tightness alone made that true, and the Karlson had the added feature of realistic dynamics with most speakers you would be likely to put in it (often JBL, ElectroVoice, or University). It was all over if you walked into the Klipsch room or the JBL room. Both the JBL Paragon and the Klipschorn were far, far better than any of the above.