Gotta Get A Headphone Amplifier - Gonna Go With The Pocket Amp 2 Version 2

BLSamuel

Always wanted to try a headphone amplifier. Don't need the extra volume with the Image X10, Custom 2, or Grado SR60 I either use or have used on a regular basis. Could use more gain to drive the (factory) stereo in our Dodge Grand Caravan.

Sound quality wise I'm sure a bit beefier amplifier I suspect with more current could only help?

Anyway. Our youngest daughter has some nerve damage in her left ear and is recovering from having the hole in her ear drum patched after her ear drum deteriorated around the tube in her ear. So for practical purposes she has a lot of difficulty hearing in that ear so requires the TV to be fairly loud in order to hear it. She also likes to listen to music on her iPod either to fall asleep to or on road trips.

What if I could get a headphone amplifier with a balance contorl? She could listen to music at normal levels in her good ear. Having never seen a balance control in a headphone amplifier I figured good luch with that.

Also can't really afford an expensive headphone amp and what uber portable. Then I remembered the PA2V2 - Pocekt Amp 2 Version 2 produced by some engineer who started building them in college after he built one for himself. Small. Inexpensive.

So I emailed him wondering if he could build one with a balance control or could sell me a box figuring I could put a balance contol in same sized box and velcro together.

Anyway. Gary emails me back the same night and even thanked me for being interested in his amplifier and explained that the do have variable gain in each channel that is adjustable by an internal screw - one for the left - one for the right. Problem solved. While not as convenient as a normal balance control should allow Alea to listen to music at sane levels in her good ear.

I'll be ordering one as soon as I find out how or win one on eBay. Almost bought one a while back. At $60 I'm sure there's better headphone amplfiers but may be hard to beat for $60... and might allow Alea to enjoy music without as great a risk of damaging the hearing in her good ear.