Cornwall 1's, capacitor change and subwoofer recommendations

Dflip

I have a pair of Cornwall 1's for the last 25 years. I have slowly upgraded the stereo equipment and wiring over the years and am quite happy, but I still have some questions.

I have an Acurus amp and preamp powering the system and it delivers a fair bit of punch. I have replaced the speaker wire, good quality van de wul wire, the cables between the components is now braided silver wire (it improved the sound quality immensely), I replaced the posts at the back of the cabinent and I had to replace the capacitors in both speakers. The old ones were distorting and there are now polypropolene ones in there. They brightened the sound stage up quiet a bit. I have moved the cabinets out from the wall, 2 feet and placed the speakers on Target spiked feet. Both of these improved the soundstage and the bass response. I have also placed two pairs of Totem beaks (http://www.totemacoustic.com/NewFiles/beak.html#Anchor-33869) on the top of each speaker. They capture the vibrations of the cabinet and reduce the buzzing due to the large cabinet and vibration. Moving the beaks around produces a change in the soundstage and a change in the bass response. I didn't believe it until I actually tried it and at least I can hear the difference. A 1/4" change can make a significant difference.

Questions:

1) Would the Hovland musicaps sound better than the polypropolene ones I installed? If so why and subjectively, is it a significant change?

2) If I get a sub, I can move the speakers out from the wall further, improving the soundstage, but losing some bass response. What type of sub would you recommend for a reasonable price? (not real cheap, but not $2000 either)

Al might have an opinion on the caps. I know replacing the whole crossover section would be the best bet, but

3) Would replacing the existing inductors with new ones from Solen be an improvemen?. Currently there are two inductors and they are old.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Doncwm7.gif